Thread: Baseball: the unpopular sport?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Baseball: the unpopular sport?

The World Series has taken upon a non desirable feel toward the fans. I have heard the excuses of the people and just flat out do not get it. I understand that many people do not like the teams that have surpassed all others. Even on this site, we do not have many Tigers or Cards fans. But its the World Series. Why aren't peple interested?

I think it has a lot to do with the marketing of the sport. Basketball markets the players like Lebron, Carmello, and DWade. They do it very nicely and the fans go crazy. But what happens when teams like the Pistons win the championship? Fans are not happy, right? Is it because they think it is sexier to have the marketed player on the roster? Would it be a better NBA finals if the Cavs played the Heat?

But what about baseball? The best player in the game is in the World Series. So why don't fans support it? Is Pujols not marketed as a young NBA star is? I believe it is because baseball markets teams and rivalries more so than players. I know, it is a team sport and in baseball, more than any other sport, you see team numbers and stats as defining means to accopmlishment. Teams like the Yankees and BoSox are heavily covered by the media and areproposed as the best teams to concentrate on. You get a bandwagon fan, what team does he like?

So what does baseball have to do? Should it concentrate on marketing its stars? Should they give the games best players more chances for endorsments and things to create that marketing image?

My question to all of us is how to make baseball more popular than what it is now. The World series is here and fans do not care. I think it is time for baseball to build an empire around guys like Pujols and all those in comparison whom can become the savior of the sport. Baseball is in a bad position and its about time they declare victory and change the manner in which they do business.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It is likely that more people would've tuned in to see LeBron vs. Wade in the Eastern Conference finals, but most basketball fans would watch the Pistons vs. the Heat anyway not only because Shaq and Wade play for the Heat but also Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and even Tayshaun Prince are household names. In terms of star power, the Tigers have Pudge and Maggs, and the Cardinals have Pujols, but all three seem to have zero personality. Tim Duncan may be perceived as "boring", but that got him in a credit card commercial.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Was it a boring credit card commercial?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.