Thread: AP NewsBreak: Players and owners reach tentative agreement on new labor contact

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

AP NewsBreak: Players and owners reach tentative agreement on new labor contact

Source

While baseball had eight work stoppages from 1972-95, the new deal guarantees labor peace through the 2011 season.

"Everybody's pretty happy with the industry. In baseball, everybody's making out pretty well," Cardinals reliever Jason Isringhausen said.

Since baseball's first labor contract in 1968, there have been strikes in 1972, 1980, 1981, 1985 and 1994-95, and management lockouts in 1973, 1976 and 1990. The last strike lasted 7 1/2 months and wiped out the World Series for the first time in 90 years, and for many teams it took years to rebuild attendance.

Most of the key provisions of the current contract will be continued with minor modifications, such as revenue sharing and the luxury tax. With the luxury tax set to expire on Dec. 19, there was pressure on management to make a deal to ensure that the 2007 season would be played with the tax in place.
    This is a huge move by the union and owners. This marks the 1st time in a while they agreed to something without help from someone else. Im really happy for baseball right now.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am really surprised this hasn't gotten more coverage here by everyone. I guess it's an issue that would cause people to go nuts had it been a controversy like in past times, but you take it for granted if it works out so smoothly. Baseball couldn't afford another strike, or even a chance for it as I think the casual fan has been more and more pushed away by every attempt. And what makes this even more amazing is that outside of the past week or so, they have managed to keep a huge issue like this underwraps and away from the mainstream press.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I was more surprised that no one posted this article or anything similar to this. This was a big time move by MLB. When is the last time the Owners and Players agreed to anything like this?

Edit: I was so damn tired I forgot the link last night.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep this is fantastic news and I am happy that we are not going to have to worry about all the baseball news being taken over for a concern about a stoppage. I have grown tired of worrying about having to miss another baseball season due to lack of agreeable decision making. I am glad it is under wraps and we can simply worry about the game and not the business behind it.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No doubt. I think baseball quickly makes the lifelong fan lose that pure love for the game, the kind of love for it you have as a little kid, when all you start to think about is the harsh reality of what it all comes down to.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    It sucks to be a huge fan of thje game and realize the business aspect of it can take it all away from you. Imagine baseball going away forever. Then all we would have is memories and no hope for your favorite pastime.

Sometimes it does get to that point where you fear it would be the worst thing that could ever happen for your own source of entertainment. Even now baseballl lacks the credibility it once had. Look at the WS numbers for this year. It is abysmal to see how few watch the game. Baseball has been lost for quite sometime, but this is a great first step in the right direction.

MLB ERA
    Its about time the players and owners realize that they need to come to an agreement on time to keep fans happy. Its the fans that pay the salaries and keep the sport going.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon