Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whitey Ford

2 28.57%
  • Reggie Jackson

5 71.43%

Thread: Round Two (Players): Whitey Ford versus Reggie Jackson

Round Two (Players): Whitey Ford versus Reggie Jackson

Whitey Ford (1950, 1953, 1955-1958, 1960-1964) - Whitey Ford pitched in eleven World Series for, who else, the New York Yankees. In 22 starts, he compiled a 10-8 record with a 2.71 ERA. He owns six World Series rings. He has 7 complete games and 4 shutouts. His 10 wins are a World Series record by three over three other men. He has the most World Series games pitched with 22, two more than Mariano Rivera. By far the most innings in World Series history and the most K's as well. He holds middling spots on postseason spots due to the introduction of annual LCS and LDS matchups.

versus

Reggie Jackson (1971-1975, 1977-1978, 1980-1982, 1986): If there was one hitter you really didn’t want to face in the 70’s and early 80’s in the playoffs, it was Mr. October, Reggie Jackson. I really only need to point out his three homerun game and the fact that his strikeout to pitcher Bob Welch is considered a Top 20 WS moment by many to show his playoff dominance, but his stats help too. In the 5 WS he played in (he was a part of 6 WS teams, but he was hurt for one), he hit .357 with a .457 OBP and .755 slugging percentage over 27 games. He had ten HR in World Series games, including five in the 1977 WS, leading to a 1.250 slugging percentage. He was a key player in four World Series victories and won 11 of 17 post-season series. The two-time WS MVP is the symbol of World Series dominance to this day.

Gotta vote for Mr. October here. Whitey's nice, but he's no Reggie in terms of individual performances.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ford was awesome in the World Series, but Reggie is a man well deserving of his nickname as he was the difference maker in a bigger way for each series as we all know how flippin' great the Yankees era was around the time Ford was playing.

(I know the poll was closed, but I was too busy to vote with studying this past week and I wanted to get a few posts in.)