Thread: FOX fires analyst Steve Lyons

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

FOX fires analyst Steve Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Molina00
    I wish they would get rid of Lyons and Piniella. They need Josh Lewin doing play by play too.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/show...920#post233920

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    can Fox fire Steve Lyons already?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/show...845#post233845

Fox fires Lyons after insensitive comment

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
    October 14, 2006

DETROIT (AP) -- Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.

The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday's comments. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.

"Steve Lyons has been relieved of his Fox Sports duties for making comments on air that the company found inappropriate," network spokesman Dan Bell said.

Lyons had been working in the booth for the ALCS alongside Thom Brennaman and Piniella.

A call to Lyons' cell phone was not immediately returned Saturday.

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.

Piniella, approached before Saturday's Game 4, declined to comment on the situation except to say: "No, he's not here today."

This was not a first-time offense for Lyons, nicknamed "Psycho" during his nine-year big league career as a utilityman that ended in 1993 with the Boston Red Sox.

Hired when Fox began broadcasting baseball in 1996, Lyons was suspended without pay in late September 2004 after his remarks about Shawn Green of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Green is Jewish and elected not to play one of the two games at San Francisco that took place during the Yom Kippur holiday.

The network apologized for Lyons' remarks at the time.

Lyons, 46, was a career .252 hitter with 19 home runs and 196 RBIs for Boston, the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta and Montreal. He was a first-round draft pick by the Red Sox, 19th overall, in 1981.

MLB ERA
    Prov and I with some combined psychic energy and Lyons is gone.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Angels

Replaced with Jose Mota who is excellent in the booth. You'll never hear bias or over-exaggerated opinions from Jose. Kudos to FUX for this choice.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Lyons is still currently Charlie Steiner's broadcast partner for Dodger games.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    eh, i think the comment thing is way overblown. should have been fired just for being a crappy announcer. too bad mccarver cant get fired.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Piniella is hispano-latin?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's Canadian-Asian.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    I thought Pinella was Italian. No joke.

MLB ERA
    ****ing silly. Fire a guy cuz he sucks (which of course, would leave them with about 3 announcers), but making up shit to fire a guy?

Joe Kapp was one fired for calling one of the Zendahas (sp) kickers a "chili chopper". That makes tons more sense than this.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufio181
    Same here.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Molina00
    Prov and I with some combined psychic energy and Lyons is gone.
    actually, I emailed Fox and said I would never watch anymore games until they fired him. Seeing as how I'm one of a handful of people that watch their games, they couldn't afford to lose my ratings

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    ****ing silly. Fire a guy cuz he sucks (which of course, would leave them with about 3 announcers), but making up shit to fire a guy?

Joe Kapp was one fired for calling one of the Zendahas (sp) kickers a "chili chopper". That makes tons more sense than this.

Piniella said that expecting similar production from Marco Scutaro in the ALCS that the A's got from Scutaro in the ALDS would be "like finding a wallet on a Friday night and looking for one on Sunday and Monday, too."

So later, the announcers had moved to different subjects and that's when Piniella said something in Spanish, to which Brennaman called him "the bilingual Lou Piniella."

So Lyons says, "Lou's habla'ing some Espaņol there, and I'm still looking for my wallet. I don't understand him and I don't want to sit close to him now", i.e. Lyons is implying that hispanic people are thieves. This is especially bad considering that it's a baseball broadcast, where a big chunk of the audience is latino. And given Lyons' past, well ... lates. Three strikes, you're out.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufio181
    I think his ancestry is from Portugal or Spain.

Obviously this was ridiculous to fire Lyons over this. If you are white you can't say anything that can be perceived as negative about a minority but the other way around you can say whatever you want.

MLB ERA
    Ok guys im kind of confused, I never took spanish, but what the hell did he say? And what did it mean?