Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeter to Ortiz: I'm not focused on individual awards.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Jeter to Ortiz: I'm not focused on individual awards.

Updated: Sep. 12, 2006, 10:33 AM ET

Jeter to Ortiz: Yanks have 'something to play for'
    ESPN.com news services

Quote: "Don't get me wrong -- [Jeter's] a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup ... Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be." "I don't have to do it in [Ortiz's] lineup. ... I'm not thinking about the MVP right now. We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."

When asked about Boston Red Sox DH David Ortiz's grousing about his chances to be the American League MVP, Jeter noted the Yankees still have "something to play for."

In comments published Monday, Ortiz said the Red Sox's free-fall from the AL playoff race should not affect his MVP candidacy with voters, and compared his own performance to Jeter, whose MVP stock rose as the Yankees took command of the AL East. New York led Boston by 10½ games on Tuesday.

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz said of Jeter. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

To that, Jeter replied "I don't have to do it in his lineup."

"I'm not thinking about the MVP right now," he told reporters Monday. "We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."

He then added, "No one here's focused on individual awards."

Yankees center fielder Johnny Damon said Ortiz's comments didn't sound like the Big Papi he played with for three seasons in Boston.

"It doesn't sound like Ortiz," Damon told reporters. "I can't believe he would say something like that."

Damon said he thought Ortiz was a "shoo-in" for MVP last season, but lost out to Alex Rodriguez last year because being a DH hurt him with the voters.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This is like Kobe Bryant vs Shaquille O'Neal all over again! Dissing each other through the media! I loooooooove this game!

Big Sloppy is feeling left out again. Poor baby. Tell him to get his fat ass on the field and well see the next Mo Vaughn.
    What is the worst source of diarrhea ?
    A)A bowl of chili, or
    B)Curt Schilling's mouth

#1 Cena Hater
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    "I'm not thinking about the MVP right now," he told reporters Monday. "We're thinking about winning a division. We've still got something to play for."
    Owned

Yankees Record: 89-57
    Magic Number: 6

Seriously, Ortiz got *****slapped.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Big Papi didn't see that one coming.

If Jeter really didn't care, he wouldn't have commented.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He was asked by the media what he thought about it.

And Ortiz wasn't? Yeah, he would surely hunt down the media and make those comments.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ortiz could have very well offered that opinion on another subject. Jeter did **** Ortiz up and Ortiz blew any shot at a MVP right there not that he really had one.

And the fact remains that you and I know absolutely nothing about the questions asked.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Ortiz should have kept his mouth shut there, If he really said that about his lineup comparing it to the Yankees lineup.. Even though it is true, but Boston's lineup is not too shaby either... Now the big question is, did Ortiz offend his teammates? Do they support his comments? Are the rest of the Red Sox palyers going to stand by their guy now if asked about his comments? Doubt it! Bye-Bye MVP to Ortiz.... If the DH thing really mattered, them Giambi definitely didnt deserve his in 2000, he is just about as poor of fielder as Ortiz... Why else would the Yankees want other defensive 1st basemen around on the team... Giambi is a bat in the line up just like Ortiz, DH should NOT matter... IMO....

WHAT SHOULD MATTER IS DID HIS CLUB MAKE THE PLAYOFFS OR A SERIOUS RUN AT THE PLAYOFFS. (Then you deserve consideration, i.e. Howard-(PHI). He is going to give Pujols all he wants in the voting and very well may win the award.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Just for the record, Giambi played 1B when he won his.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I kow that he played 1B when he won his.. But it wasnt because of his stellar all round play, defensively he was not good, he won his becuase of his offensive numbers, which is how 99% of MVP's win their awards. Hence, Ortiz and even Frank Thomas should be considered this year too. I personally love the DH... I like the fact that you can had another potentially potent hitter to your lineup... I also love the NL rules also... So if you recognize teh DH as a player, then they deserve the same recognition as everyone else!!!

That was my point... If people hold it against DH's cause they only hit, then defensive stats should be considered then, especially in the AL... Then you can elimate DH's from MVP awards...

Although, if Ortiz really made those comments, then I agree, he probably lost the award for sure... Sometimes in life you just have to bit your tongue on true feelings, cause many people, if not all, are fragile with their feelings..

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    And the fact remains that you and I know absolutely nothing about the questions asked.
    And the fact remains that Ortiz looked like a ***** and got treated like one too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast