Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeter to Ortiz: I'm not focused on individual awards.

Seriously, this is just a case of Ortiz saying the wrong thing, even if it is true. It is blatantly obvious that Ortiz deserved the MVP last year over A-Rod, but this year he did nothing to keep the Sox in the race. He was out during half the yankees sweep and during most of the collapse that followed he just dissappeared. That's why he won't win MVP, not because he's a DH but because this year he actually doesn't deserve it despite his power numbers. Jeter helped his team more than Ortiz this year and the 10.5 game lead proves it. And yea, Jeter said the right thing in response and made Ortiz look like a fool. And Jeter was just being honest, he doesn't care about stats he cares about wins, that's why we love him.

MLB ERA
    I'm willing to believe that David Ortiz was taken out of context in this case, but I could be wrong. His numbers are not any more outstanding than Jeter's are, and he is not a "better" candidate than Jeter is.
    Ortiz won't gain any votes by making statements of this nature.
    Jeter doesn't focus on individual awards. In fact, I doubt if he knows his own batting average unless someone tells him. He just wants to win ballgames.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    How in the hell is this taken out of context? He said what he said and its clear what he is saying.

MLB ERA
    I guess I should be a bit clearer here. What I meant to say is that I do not think Ortiz meant anything derogatory toward Jeter. Jeter is not an "individual awards" guy. He doesn't care (or at least it appears so) about them, as long as his team wins games. Ortiz, on the other hand, is a bit indignant about DHs not being given their "due", just because they don't play defense often.
    Just for the record, David Ortiz was ranked the best defensive 1B in his league one of his years in the Mariners' farm system. I think he could play defense if the Red Sox needed him to.

MLB ERA
    As far as Ortiz deserving the award this season, I agree with Looshuis. Last season, he did a lot more to keep his team in the race. This year, he did not.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ortiz might have been good against other Single A first baseman but has never been a regular first baseman for a reason for the record.

MLB ERA
    Ortiz has never needed to play defense in the bigs on a regular basis. I think he could, if needed. Who knows?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12