Thread: House admits to steroid use in 60's and 70's

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA

House admits to steroid use in 60's and 70's

Former pitcher Tom House describes his steroid use in 1960s, '70s

May 3, 2005
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Former major league pitcher Tom House used steroids during his career and said performance-enhancing drugs were widespread in baseball in the 1960s and 1970s, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

House, perhaps best known for catching Hank Aaron's 715th home run ball in 1974 in the Atlanta Braves' bullpen, said he and several teammates used amphetamines, human growth hormone and ``whatever steroid'' they could find in order to keep up with the competition.

``I pretty much popped everything cold turkey,'' House told the Chronicle in a story published Tuesday. ``We were doing steroids they wouldn't give to horses. That was the '60s, when nobody knew. The good thing is, we know now. There's a lot more research and understanding.''

House, a former pitching coach with the Texas Rangers and co-founder of the National Pitching Association near San Diego, is one of the first players to describe steroid use as far back as the 1960s.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

More fuel to the fire...

Rookie ERA
    I used to have his Pitching Edge book when I was 10 years old. He left that part out of it. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Staze19
    I used to have his Pitching Edge book when I was 10 years old. He left that part out of it. :p
    I have all three of tom houses books. The pitching Edge, Picture Perfect Pitcher, and Fit to Pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Optimist
    Fit to Pitch.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I can see it now. the new headline on the sports pages. EVERYONE WHO PLAYED FROM 1960-PRESENT IS GUILTY TIL PROVEN INNOCENT. Pretty long headline but it is a big paper.

AA ERA
    Funny he comes out now after Juan got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by PacMan
    Yeah, it doesn't mention anything about roids in the book