Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Language Barrier and Steroids: How big is the problem?

The Language Barrier and Steroids: How big is the problem?

Well, last night, I heard a complaint that I had not heard before, namely the language barrier. Is it a real factor, as over 50% of the players (majors and minors) that have violated the illegal substances policy has been hispanic, while they only represent 25% of the MLB's starting rosters. Or is it just an easier availabilty and lack of knolwedge about the policy? What's your opinion? David Ortiz thinks the language barrier is a factor, Jose Valentin blames a lack of communication with a language barrir, Jose Guillen isn't buying it. Beltran believes the players are responsible. Who does the burden fall upon, and are players falling prey to language difficulties and misleading information from "vitamins" in the Latin American countries or is it the players' faults completely.

Some information on the situation can be found in this ESPN article:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2053375

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I have mixed opinions on this. I do think that MLB should have a representative gather all the latino players and go over new rules that are in place. But I got to say, where the **** are these guys agents? The agents should be more responsible to tell their clients what they cannot take. What the **** are they paying these guys for?

AA ERA
    Players should not be using substances, supplements, or vitamins period. You don't need to learn a language to know that.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    why shouldnt they be taking vitamins? thats gotta be one of the most ludicrous things i have ever heard. vitamin supplements keep one healthy if you dont get them all in your daily diet. All vitamins will do is keep you living healthy. As for supplements, why not? they arent illegal, they keep you healthy and dont really produce sideeffects.

but really, its on the players association to get these guys the translations. isnt that what the PA is for? helping the players? or does that only matter when its time to negotiate salaries?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Players should not be using substances, supplements, or vitamins period. You don't need to learn a language to know that.

yea good way to state it steak

I agree with you

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by 777rak
    yea good way to state it steak

I agree with you
    why shouldnt they be able to take vitamins or supplements?

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    They can take vitamins or supplements, but just in their own language so they'll understand it better.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500

ok you can take vitamins, just not drugs like steriods

AA ERA
    rockin: Whatever happened to eating right and working out right. I just don't think vitamins and supplements are the way to go. Just my opinion on that.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    it takes two, if they want to come work in America, they should learn the language. If you go to another country (from the US), you're going to have to learn some of the language...you can't expect everyone all over the world to speak english, just like anyone shouldn't expect everyone here to speak their language

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Providence, only in a perfect world. You have to live in the real world where people come over everyday not knowing this language. Go order chinese food and tell me if they understand anything other than the foods you are calling out. Ichiro has a translator with him alomost always. It is not the same for latinos.

As for supplements and vitamins, please. This has been happeneing since forever. Athletes will take whatever to get an edge. In today's world with technology, how could you not take these supplements? They are legal and FDA approved. It is very unreasonable to think they shouldn't take these things.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    My sentiments exactly

Personally, as long as it doesn't hurt the players in the long run (such as the vitamins and supplements), they should be able to use them. I've heard analysts say that players couldn't go a whole season without amphetamines, and I assume those are worse than vitamins.

Without legal supplements and vitamins the players would never be able to last 150+ games. So you need to bring the schedule down to 125 games to even think about not letting them take legal supplements.

What happened to Juan Rincon is great in my opinion, its gonna force teams to tell players what they can and can not take during the season and during the offseason and maybe the teams will supply the players with vitamins and supplements that are legal.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    rockin: Whatever happened to eating right and working out right. I just don't think vitamins and supplements are the way to go. Just my opinion on that.
    you do know that doctors recommend vitamins for everyone, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast