Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Ortiz: I should be the MVP, not Jeter. He's not a 40 homerun hitter.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

David Ortiz: I should be the MVP, not Jeter. He's not a 40 homerun hitter.

Updated: Sep. 11, 2006, 10:31 AM ET

Ortiz says he should still be considered for MVP

ESPN.com news services

David Ortiz, the American League leader in home runs and RBI, says Boston's fall from the American League playoff race should not disqualify him from the race for the AL's Most Valuable Player award.

But Ortiz told reporters after the Red Sox's 9-3 win over the Royals on Sunday that he thinks that's what's going to happen.

"I'll tell you one thing," Ortiz said. "If I get 50 home runs and 10 more RBI [which would give him 137], that's going to be a round number that no one else in the American League will have."

"But they'll vote for a position player, use that as an excuse. They're talking about [Derek] Jeter a lot, right? He's done a great job, he's having a great season, but Jeter is not a 40-homer hitter or an RBI guy. It doesn't matter how much you've done for your ball club, the bottom line is, the guy who hits 40 home runs and knocks in 100, that's the guy you know helped your team win games.

"Don't get me wrong -- he's a great player, having a great season, but he's got a lot of guys in that lineup," Ortiz continued. "Top to bottom, you've got a guy who can hurt you. Come hit in this lineup, see how good you can be."

Ortiz said if he had a vote, he might cast it for Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox, or Justin Morneau of the Minnesota Twins.

"All depends on who makes the playoffs," he said. "Dye is having an unbelievable season, an incredible year. Konerko, too.

"Morneau, he's having a great season, but in Minnesota, there's no publicity. I bet you nobody knows who he is."

Ortiz also noted that Alex Rodriguez won the MVP in 2003, despite the fact his Texas Rangers finished last in the AL West. That season, A-Rod hit .298 with 47 home runs and 118 RBI.

"I'm right there," he said, "but I'm not going to win it. They give it to [Rodriguez] one year, even though his team was in last place, so now they can't play that BS anymore, just because your team didn't make it. They gave it to Alex that year because of his numbers. But they always have a reason to vote for whatever, so that's why I don't worry about it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2582790

Holy misleading headlines Batman

Ortiz said if he had a vote, he might cast it for Jermaine Dye or Paul Konerko of the Chicago White Sox, or Justin Morneau of the Minnesota Twins.

Everything Ortiz said in that article, is, well, right.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

And now I don't want him to win.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I'm guessing you never wanted him to win.

I did. But in my mind, it takes 4 components to win an MVP:

1.) Offensive numbers
    2.) Fielding your position
    3.) Making the playoffs
    4.) Leadership

Papi lacks 2 of those entirely, assuming Boston doesn't make the playoffs.

Meh, I only see one that he lacks (#3). He either fields his position (DH), or he has no position to field (ergo, doesn't apply).

And we all know Lowell or Youk or Pena would be on the bench if the AL had no DH and Ortiz was on the team.

Yes, and he would be an awful first baseman. That's the point.

DH is not a position. Its a travesty.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I don't necessarily think you have to make the playoffs but to keep your team in the hunt. But in a year like this when there are a lot of candidates I think it does come down to making the playoffs. Ortiz has not kept them in a race and other players have comparable stats and play an actual position thus making them more valuable. Ortiz hasn't been in the race for some time IMO. Morneau and Dye should get a vote before Ortiz.

MLB ERA
    He's a leader, only leaders know how to get clutch hit after hit. I agree with him that they use the "position player" as an scape goat.

How many DH's hit 50+ HRs and 120+ RBI?

Plus you has defensive players(pitchers) in the AL who have won MVPs, so i dont see why a DH cant win it.

Who's the last pitcher to win an MVP, wise ass?

MLB ERA

Year?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ortiz is not even in the top 40 in BA which is pretty sad IMO since all they have to focus on is HITTING!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast