Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins' reliever Rincon suspended for positive steroid test

MLB ERA

Twins' reliever Rincon suspended for positive steroid test

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2051595

"NEW YORK -- Minnesota Twins pitcher Juan Rincon was suspended for 10 days Monday, making him the fifth player disciplined under Major League Baseball's new policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

Rincon was a key contributor to the Twins' AL Central-winning team last season. He went 11-6 with two saves and a 2.63 ERA in 77 games. This year, he was 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA in 12 appearances."

Yes, pitchers can use steroids. Where they can help most is in recovery time between outings. Juan Rincon is also the best player that has been suspended so far.

Agreed on both counts, can't add a whole lot more, except I hope it is a misunderstanding even if I doubt it. People don't usually accuse pitchers, interestingly enough.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Rincon is one of the top setup men in the AL. We'll see how he does after his suspension ends...

MLB ERA
    10 days is what, 3 or 4 games at the most. The Twins will survive not having his 6 innings of work.

MLB ERA
    what happend to 50 days on 1st strike?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    It was a suggestion, not policy.

MLB ERA
    well I think it was a great suggestion and want to see it implanted
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

AA ERA
    When I turned to ESPNews as I got up from bed and found out that Juan was suspended for 10 days, I just knew he was suspended for steroids. I was very disgusted when I heard the news. I am dissapointed that Juan would resort to taking steroids. I really am and I am very disgusted. I have no clue what he was thinking. He embrassed himself, the organization, and his fellow relievers for taking steroids. Now everyone is going to look at relievers and be cynical. This is just dumb and stupid.

I am very ashamed at his act and embrassed about this. Juan is lucky that he got a generous 10-day suspension. If Selig and I had our way, he would be banned after first try.

MLB and fans wanted a big name player to get a caught and now they got what they were looking for. It's a damn shame that Juan was the big name. He has embrassed himself and the organization. This is something he and the Twins will have to live with for a very long time.

Juan has put the Twins in a huge bind. Now who is the setup guy? I sure as hell don't want to see J.C. in a setup role let alone being on the team. Now Jesse Crain will have to take the role as a setup guy not J.C. 10 days may be nothing for Juan, but it's going to hurt the team here. Gardenhire is going to have ad-lib more than ever with this stunning news.

I never in my wildest dreams would think Juan of all people would use steroids. You just hope he doesn't do it again. Tim Kurkijan raised an interesting point on ESPNews about how Juan has been getting hit a lot this year with the steroid policy in place. There is nothing to be concerned, but it was still interesting.

I doubt the Twins will dump him after this news, but if they want to dump him, it's okay with me. I don't want any steroid users on my team. I don't give a damn if they won games. If there are two things that I will not stand for with players is being wife-beaters and steroid users.

I am very dissapointed in Juan.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Rincon was hit Monday with a 10-game suspension after testing positive for an undisclosed substance.
    nothing in that article said steroids, where did you guys see that?

It's an assumption. We know he violated the illegal substances policy, and the 10-game suspension applies to banned substances, one logically makes the asssumption. Do we know? Not really, but it's a fair assumption.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    it's a fair assumption.
    how so? it could be anything that mlb has in their policy. was it roids with sanchez?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If the Twins let Rincon go, 12 teams would be courting him in a heart beat.

I don't know, was it roids with Sanchez? I still think it's a fair assumption he violated some form of performance enhancing drugs. He violated a policy, and to the general public, that means steroids. Do we know? Of course not, but I think it is a fair assumption that odds are, he violated the steroid agreement.

And if Rincon was let go, you better believe there would be a massive rush to sign him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Sanchez was caught taking an illegal substance that was banned in January of this year. So were many, many minor leaguers in spring training. I can understand this because they weren't banned until this year so I can let that slide. They did their time and have went on with their lives. Now we don't know when Rincon was in fact tested but if it was recently after seeing what has happened to the others, then he is a moron who just lost $24k.

MLB ERA
    We have two posts on this. Is there a reason for that?

The one I made was posted one minute before this one, but I guess everyone decided to keep this one.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast