Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Player in each MLB Franchise History

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    So you're going to begrudge a couple great players because of rules and conditions they had no control over?
    so its ok for you guys have a grudge against bonds, mcgwire, and sosa because they are "accused" of using steriods and DONT have a positive steriod test on'em?

But yet fans will phrase guys like Daryl Strawberry, and David Wells, who ****in smoked crack, but no the fans dont want a crackhead banned, but they rather have someone who is "accused" steriod user without a postive steriod test banned.

If ruth and cobb were "GREAT PLAYERS" i'm sure the league bent/flexed some rules for them, and if that was true, they could have told MLB to allow negro leagues/latinos to play in the MLB.

MLB ERA
    I hold a grudge against Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, etc etc if they took steroids.

I generally then go on to point out that there's a lot of circumstantial evidence supporting the accusations.

I am also usually quick to point out that nothing's really been definitively proven yet either.

But all of the above is irrelevant to the fact that Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb were two of the greatest players to ever play the game.

You need to stop passing the buck in your never-ending battle to clear Barry's name.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    and sure, they could've "told" them to let them play....but 1) given the era I doubt that would've done much, at least for their timeframe. (it may have sped up the timeframe for when it did happen, having had them argue in their favor.)

and 2, and more importantly, with the way they tore apart the competition that they faced I find it hard to believe they'd suddenly struggle in any kind of significant manner that would belittle the production they provided just because they face other players at the same level as the ones they did face.

I'm sure the numbers would've been different one way or another, but I will argue that it wouldn't be as skewed as you want to make it out to be. It's not like the negro leagues was full of supermen from the planet krypton who could throw 250 mph fastballs and Bugs Bunny change ups that just weren't allowed to play major league baseball with them.

MLB ERA
    Its a fact based on numbers that Cobb and Ruth were great players.

Its also a fact that they didn't play against nego leagues/latinos.

The fact is that there isn't a positive steriod test on any of those three.

And if the evidence was legit the grand jury would have indicted bonds by now.

MLB ERA
    Satchel Paige(negro league pitcher) threw around 100 or over.

MLB ERA
    ok? That's nice. I'm sure there were a handful of fireballers in MLB as well.

You make it sound like Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb played in little league.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    Babe Ruth/Ty Cobb played against the negro leagues/latinos also.
    That is an absurdly strange response considering my original comment
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Did anyone nominate Greg Vaughn or Jose Canseco as Tampa's by chance? I mean, ok, Scott Kazmir isn't bad but..
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    ok? That's nice. I'm sure there were a handful of fireballers in MLB as well.

You make it sound like Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb played in little league.
    to me that is the issue at heart. Is he implying that the major league as whole was lower in quality than the other leagues? That the greats from that period only got those numbers because they played against shitty competition? Is he implying that Caucasian people are inherently inferior to other races in athletic and/or baseball skill? What exactly is he trying to say here?

It could have been the other way around, too. Perhaps those other players would not have been as great if they were in the majors? We'll never know, but I think there are many great players from all those leagues and you can't really discredit any of them because of the situation. There is no way of knowing what would have happened, but I think the great players (from all the leagues) would have still been great regardless...their overall numbers would have been different, but I don't think they'd be that far off from what they ended up being. I don't think the difference in player abilities between the leagues was as great as is being implied here...they all played at a high level...it's not A ball compared to MLB IMHO.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Giants- Willie Mays
    Cardinals- Stan Musial
    Yankees- Babe Ruth/Mickey Mantle. Mantle played his entire career a Yankee
    Padres- Tony Gwynn
    Dodgers- Jackie Robinson
    Blue Jays- George Bell
    Devil Rays- Aubrey Huff-Not much to choose from but has been the best.
    Brewers- Robin Yount
    Royals- George Brett
    A's- Rickey Henderson
    M's- Ken Griffey Jr.
    Pirates- Roberto Clemente
    Astros- Jeff Bagwell
    Braves- Hank Aaron
    Diamondbacks- Luis Gonzalez
    Red Sox- Ted Williams
    White Sox- Frank Thomas
    Phillies- Steve Carlton
    Mets- Tom Seaver
    Rockies- Todd Helton
    Orioles- Cal Ripken Jr.
    Cubs- Ernie Banks/Ryne Sandberg. I am torn on this one.
    Reds- Johnny Bench
    Indians- Bob Feller
    Angels- Tim Salmon
    Twins- Kirby Puckett
    Marlins- Jeff Conine?
    Tigers- Ty Cobb
    Expos/Nationals- Andre Dawson
    Rangers- Ivan Rodriguez

Thank you all and good night!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I know you've said Rickey twice, but you've yet to explain why. Care to? I only ask because he spent the prime of his career in another uniform (Yankees 26 - 30) and 12 (whole and halves added) of his 25 seasons in another uniform. Don't get me wrong, Rickey was my favorite player growing up. I'm just curious as to your reasoning.

Is it because you're picking an Oakland A? You chose other old players so I know you're not against them. Foxx was the "right-handed Babe Ruth", Grove may well have been the best left-handed starting pitcher, and Plank outdid Grove and he is the 3rd most career wins for a lefty. They have a lot of good choices and I don't think you can go wrong...as I said, I was just wondering why you picked him since you haven't said so.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Rickey's best years were with the A's. He spent the last years of his career on any team that would take him so I don't really count those. He spent the majority of his career with the A's. Rickey is second in franchise history in games played so I think that pretty much sums up why I think he is the best Athletic of all time. He revolutionized the game and mostly as an Athletic. I don't give too much credit to guys like Grove because of the era of ball they played. Foxx was a great Athletic too don't get me wrong but I saw Rickey and I saw what he could do. He is one of the best leadoff men of all time.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Now ive not read all of the posts so i dont know if you guys are picking players by the length of time they played with the team, or over all performance, so if you find me to be a complete idiot, please laugh all you want. Tom Seaver for the Mets, although good pick, youd have to look at all the other pitching greats that the mets have aquired over the years,,,,(fyi,, none have thrown a perfect game or a no hitter, which is obsered). For one you can say something about Nolan Ryan playing for the mets, for he is arguably the best pitcher to ever play the sport, and even doc gooden,even though he's a crack addict and is waisting his life away in jail.
    Now as for standard players id go with Mike Piazza because he carried the team through the thick and thin while with the metropolitans. This is way to early to say but either david wright, jose reyes, or carlos beltran, could be one of the greatest players in the near future for this team
    AND REMEMBER KIDS, IF YOU EVER CHOOSE TO BE A FAN OF THE YANKEES, ILL PERSONALLY CASTRATE YOU,, HAHA HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234