Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 Worst Trades of the last 10 Years

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Blue Jays 10 Worst Trades of the last 10 Years

Hi everyone,
    I just wrote my first published (sort of) article and I wrote about what I though the 10 worst trades of the last 10 years were.
    You can read it here.
    http://www.pinrockers.com/index.php?...04_articleid=1
    If anybody can see errors feel free to point them out. I was wondering what people though of the list, and what other people think are the worst trades of the last 10 years. I'm sure everyone has a different take.

MLB ERA
    that Giles trade (Padres version) would've ranked higher if Oliver Perez didn't lose it after one great year...he was actually the one Padres fans were more pissed about losing at the time.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Sizemore/Lee/Phillips for Colon trade is so overrated as far as "worst trades ever". Minaya never really cared if he killed the Expos future or not, he knew he was out of there soon (and the Expos as well).

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA
    I agree with your rankings for the most part... you missed Denny Bautista for Jason Grimsley... and of course the worst trade of all-time STILL is Glenn Davis for Schilling, Finley, and Harnisch.

...that wasn't of the last ten years
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Bautista for Grimsley isn't bad, because neither amounted to much of anything.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    The Sizemore/Lee/Phillips for Colon trade is so overrated as far as "worst trades ever". Minaya never really cared if he killed the Expos future or not, he knew he was out of there soon (and the Expos as well).

So you're saying you'd still do that deal, know all three of those actually pan out and Colon's biggest achievement, besides stealing the Cy from Santana, was becoming the league's biggest body index?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

BTW, there are various timeline issues in the article ranging from Derek Lowe's postseason to what offseason Minaya was shopping Vazquez (and he got Nicky J for him, which makes for a nice trade).

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    So you're saying you'd still do that deal, know all three of those actually pan out and Colon's biggest achievement, besides stealing the Cy from Santana, was becoming the league's biggest body index?
    Most probably so. Colon did win 10 games in the second half for the Expos if I recall (10-4 record I think?), and while Lee, Sizemore and Philips do pan out, they would have panned out for the Washington team, and not the Montreal team anyways. And the GM knowing that he's soon moving on to another team, it's no better way to leave your mark.

MLB ERA
    here's two very bad Blue Jays trades done by Gord Ash

David Wells and Matt DeWitt for Mike Sirotka, Kevin Beirne, and Brian Simmons
    Gord Ash's biggest screw up ever, since Kenny Williams didn't tell him about Sirotka's injury and that Ash never put any effort to see if he was injuried either.

Michael Young and Darwin Cubillán for Esteban Loaiza
    talk about very bad and ever now it will still haunt the Jays with Vernon Wells and Michael Young.
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

Johnny Damon for Roberto Henandez and Angel Berroa. Baird is on a roll.

MLB ERA
    I posted some of these in another thread, involving a ton of shitty ones, I remember the Michael Young one and the first Brian Giles Trade. (Giles for Ricardo Rincon, straight up.)

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    ...that wasn't of the last ten years
    You were right about getting the years wrong. Obviously those things happened in 2004 not 2005. I don't see what you mean about the last ten years part though. The earliest trade mentioned was 1997.

Also, in everyone's opinion, was the Michael Young trade worse than the Izturis trade? It's hard to say. (The Lopez one wasn't so hot either).

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by mnash
    You were right about getting the years wrong. Obviously those things happened in 2004 not 2005. I don't see what you mean about the last ten years part though. The earliest trade mentioned was 1997.

Also, in everyone's opinion, was the Michael Young trade worse than the Izturis trade? It's hard to say. (The Lopez one wasn't so hot either).
    losing Young hurts more, Young just more of a dangerous hitter than Izturis and both are very good to great in the field, although I loved watching Izturis in the field in his limited time in Toronto, I can't believe JP actually traded him, and Lopez was going to be the next SS who just gets traded anyway, so the Jays end up with Chris Woodward there until the Hill and Adams circus.

and i forogt about the Lopez trade
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

I was talking about the Harisch/Schilling trade that was mentioned in a subsequent post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast