View Poll Results: Who will win this year's All-Star Game

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • American League will continue it's domination well after I am dead.

12 50.00%
  • National League, why? One word: Uggla.

12 50.00%
Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S3F High-Heat Matchup: 2006 All-Star Game (7/11 at 8:00 PM EST on FOX)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

S3F High-Heat Matchup: 2006 All-Star Game (7/11 at 8:00 PM EST on FOX)

vs

Kenny Rogers vs Brad Penny to start things off tonight. Post your predictions, check out McKain's sweet ASG preview and rep him here: REP McKAIN
    Most importantly, make sure you stop by tonight to chat about the game with us. Even if the game lacks excitement, we can always find much to make fun or or complain about.

Also, KOZ wrote up an ASG related article. Check it out, post your thoughts and thank the man. KOZ's article

Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    What to Watch For in 2006
    On Tuesday, July 11th, the seventy-seventh MLB All Star Game will take place. Once again, the best players in the game will congregate to entertain those who make the game what it is - the fans. 2006 marks the fourth season in which the game "counts," delivering homefield to the league which proves victorious. Each team is represented by one man in the game. Yet, on July 11th, no one will think of those two points. No one will remember that Mark Redman was undeserving, or that what many refer to as "a glorified exhibition" will potentially decide the World Series winner (the team with homefield advantage has won 17 of the last 20 championships). Francisco Liriano and Travis Hafner were "robbed of their rightful spots." Luckily for Liriano, he got in; Hafner was not so lucky, but I am sure he enjoys his time at home. On Tuesday, all that will matter is the players on the field.

However, several players will be missing this All-Star Game in spite of being voted or selected in. Robinson Cano, Jose Reyes, and Alex Rios, three first time players, are absent due to injury. Manny Ramirez is taking time off to rest. Pedro Martinez, perennial All Star, is also out due to injury. Tom Glavine "opted out." Several others, including Jose Contreras (who has already withdrawn) pitched on Sunday, and thus, may be unavailable for the game itself.

The important thing, though, is who is there. There is the usual list of elite hitters ready to contribute - Albert Pujols, Jason Bay, David Wright, Carlos Beltran, Vladimir Guerrero, David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez, Ichiro Suzuki. Most fans know what to expect from these players, so to me, the real issue in the 2006 All Star Game are the players some may not know as well. Here is my list of lesser-known players to watch in this game:

1) Brad Penny, SP, National League (Los Angeles Dodgers)
    Remember when Paul DePodesta got hammered for trading Paul Lo Duca to get this guy? Good times. Brad Penny has been the most unnoticed top pitcher in the NL in 2006. He ranks third in the league in ERA with a 2.91, is tied for second in wins with 10, and has been by all accounts a fantastic pitcher. His career has always been bogged down by injuries, but has managed to fight through them to put up three very impressive seasons from 2004 to 2006. He will get the start for the National League on Tuesday, mostly due to the fact he has not pitched since Wednesday, but truly he is deserving.

2) Grady Sizemore, OF, American League (Cleveland Indians)
    The first All Star appearance for the young, outstanding centerfielder. Sizemore has a chance to win the Gold Glove in center this year, making dazzling plays all yearl ong while mixing in flat out consistent excellence when he's not doing that. Not only that, he ranks 17th in the league in OPS, and could crack both thirty homers and thirty stolen bases this season with a strong second half. He will see time later in the game, and is sure to make an impact, whether with his glove or the bat.

3) Freddy Sanchez, IF, National League (Pittsburgh Pirates)
    The third first time All Star on my list, and another guy who goes unnoticed. See the pattern yet? Sanchez is tied for the NL lead in batting average at .358 (with Nomar Garciaparra), and is tied for the NL lead in doubles at 29 (with Nick Johnson and Matt Holliday). His game is not quite complete yet, as neither power nor speed have come, but he flat-out hits, and can field second, shortstop, and third very well. He will get his opportunity to come in to the game late, and may be one of the best choices Phil Garner made this year.

4) Mark Redman, SP, American League (Kansas City Royals)
    This guy is flat-out not a good pitcher. He has a 5.27 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP this season. He has an .805 OPS allowed, thus my inclusion of him in this list may seem a little odd, but here are a few fun facts about him that make him an interesting player in the game. Firstly, he has not pitched in five days, meaning he is likely one of the few starters on either side who could take on the task of going three or more innings. Secondly, in the month of June, he had a 3.74 ERA, giving up 14 ER in 33.2 IP, though most of his peripherals were a bit ugly. Thirdly, he is going to have a chip on his shoulder, as everyone is referring to him as undeserving, and damning Ozzie Guillen for putting him here. I will not be surprised if he comes in and does poorly, but at the same time, if he gets in and puts on a good show, it will be just as expected.

So tonight, Ozzie Guillen and Phil Garner will clash heads. Kenny Rogers faces off against Brad Penny. There are twenty five first time players, ranging from a pair of twenty two year old lefty starters to a thirty two year old who only got in because Kansas City is an abomination. Enjoy the game, cheer on your players, cheer on your league, and good luck to all involved.

My prediction: American League 9, National League 6. Go Alfonso Soriano!

MLB ERA

The 2006 All-Star Thread

Come on National League, let us end the American League's 10 game unbeaten streak!!!

GO NL GO NL!!!!!!

Go AL

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Go AL

MLB ERA
    Go NL! Bring homefield advantage in the World Series to PetCo!

LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Mission asked the writers to do something up for the ASG, so here's my contribution, and Zito will be adding something later. Please try to be here for the game itself, contribute to discussion, make predictions, do what you can. Let's put up a good showing for the game.

What to Watch For in 2006
    On Tuesday, July 11th, the seventy-seventh MLB All Star Game will take place. Once again, the best players in the game will congregate to entertain those who make the game what it is - the fans. 2006 marks the fourth season in which the game "counts," delivering homefield to the league which proves victorious. Each team is represented by one man in the game. Yet, on July 11th, no one will think of those two points. No one will remember that Mark Redman was undeserving, or that what many refer to as "a glorified exhibition" will potentially decide the World Series winner (the team with homefield advantage has won 17 of the last 20 championships). Francisco Liriano and Travis Hafner were "robbed of their rightful spots." Luckily for Liriano, he got in; Hafner was not so lucky, but I am sure he enjoys his time at home. On Tuesday, all that will matter is the players on the field.

However, several players will be missing this All-Star Game in spite of being voted or selected in. Robinson Cano, Jose Reyes, and Alex Rios, three first time players, are absent due to injury. Manny Ramirez is taking time off to rest. Pedro Martinez, perennial All Star, is also out due to injury. Tom Glavine "opted out." Several others, including Jose Contreras (who has already withdrawn) pitched on Sunday, and thus, may be unavailable for the game itself.

The important thing, though, is who is there. There is the usual list of elite hitters ready to contribute - Albert Pujols, Jason Bay, David Wright, Carlos Beltran, Vladimir Guerrero, David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez, Ichiro Suzuki. Most fans know what to expect from these players, so to me, the real issue in the 2006 All Star Game are the players some may not know as well. Here is my list of lesser-known players to watch in this game:

Remember when Paul DePodesta got hammered for trading Paul Lo Duca to get this guy? Good times. Brad Penny has been the most unnoticed top pitcher in the NL in 2006. He ranks third in the league in ERA with a 2.91, is tied for second in wins with 10, and has been by all accounts a fantastic pitcher. His career has always been bogged down by injuries, but has managed to fight through them to put up three very impressive seasons from 2004 to 2006. He will get the start for the National League on Tuesday, mostly due to the fact he has not pitched since Wednesday, but truly he is deserving.

2) Grady Sizemore, OF, American League (Cleveland Indians)
    The first All Star appearance for the young, outstanding centerfielder. Sizemore has a chance to win the Gold Glove in center this year, making dazzling plays all yearl ong while mixing in flat out consistent excellence when he's not doing that. Not only that, he ranks 17th in the league in OPS, and could crack both thirty homers and thirty stolen bases this season with a strong second half. He will see time later in the game, and is sure to make an impact, whether with his glove or the bat.

3) Freddy Sanchez, IF, National League (Pittsburgh Pirates)
    The third first time All Star on my list, and another guy who goes unnoticed. See the pattern yet? Sanchez is tied for the NL lead in batting average at .358 (with Nomar Garciaparra), and is tied for the NL lead in doubles at 29 (with Nick Johnson and Matt Holliday). His game is not quite complete yet, as neither power nor speed have come, but he flat-out hits, and can field second, shortstop, and third very well. He will get his opportunity to come in to the game late, and may be one of the best choices Phil Garner made this year.

4) Mark Redman, SP, American League (Kansas City Royals)
    This guy is flat-out not a good pitcher. He has a 5.27 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP this season. He has an .805 OPS allowed, thus my inclusion of him in this list may seem a little odd, but here are a few fun facts about him that make him an interesting player in the game. Firstly, he has not pitched in five days, meaning he is likely one of the few starters on either side who could take on the task of going three or more innings. Secondly, in the month of June, he had a 3.74 ERA, giving up 14 ER in 33.2 IP, though most of his peripherals were a bit ugly. Thirdly, he is going to have a chip on his shoulder, as everyone is referring to him as undeserving, and damning Ozzie Guillen for putting him here. I will not be surprised if he comes in and does poorly, but at the same time, if he gets in and puts on a good show, it will be just as expected.

So tonight, Ozzie Guillen and Phil Garner will clash heads. Kenny Rogers faces off against Brad Penny. There are twenty five first time players, ranging from a pair of twenty two year old lefty starters to a thirty two year old who only got in because Kansas City is an abomination. Enjoy the game, cheer on your players, cheer on your league, and good luck to all involved.

My prediction: American League 9, National League 6. Go Alfonso Soriano!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAM

MLB ERA
    I just want the streak to end. So I want the NL to win.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I found a pretty sweet podcast about the All-Star game using Podzinger you can check it out here:

URL: http://www.podzinger.com/results.jsp...l-pod-ep&il=en

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I heard it's suppose to rain...I hope so

AA ERA
    I don't like All-Star week. Besides watching a few guys in the Home-Run derby or seeing a favorite player get to become a defensive substitution for a Red Sox or Yankee or Met, it isn't worth it. Just select a team and move on. No need to actually play it. It's almost assumed that the AL wins anyway.
    SBSL- Brooklyn Cyclones
    I am a proud member of the Anti-Rocksports Alliance.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    The NL win as the ghost of Fred McGriff will hit another extra inning game winning homer in Pittsburgh

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    I never got the criticism for that deal. Penny was an injury risk sure but one with obviously a pretty big potential payoff, but oh yeah, LoDuca was the heart and soul, blah blah blah. He's gone unnoticed and really (based on the coverage I've seen before the ASG), unless you followed his stats or the Dodgers, you wouldn't have much of a clue of what he's done. That's one of the nice stories for the night in my opinion, hopefully he'll have some good innings to finally give the NL a victory.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DravenX
    I just want the streak to end. So I want the NL to win.
    Wow a braves fan asking for a steak to end!

MLB ERA
    Paul LoDuca was a veteran leader, Brad Penny was a guy from Florida whose last name is Penny. Of course no one was going to like the deal for the LA side, but Lo Duca's been a mediocre catcher at best and Brad Penny is looking like one of the best pitchers in the NL.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast