Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn (6/21)

+++

Dry?..

I guess he left. Bwitty, yer in!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I have to sell this as well. Over the past 14 seasons the Braves have finished first in their division. So we know that they obviously know how to win games. Also, their youth has been performing better as the season has progressed. Francoeur started off in a big slump and now he is starting to get his juice back from last year. Their staff has been okay thus far but with vets like hudson and smoltz leading the way along with ramirez (who only has really had one bad game) I see the braves having a much better second half. Also one of their key players, Brian McCann is just coming back from his injury. I don't see how anyone could say that the Braves will continue to struggle the way they have been.

++++

Finally, we visit the realm of the Stat-Heads, to discuss a most controversial topic in nerd circles around the USA:

Buy the strikeout as being a worse out than lets say a groundout or a fly out? Around the Horn to Dam.

MLB ERA
    BUY, BUY, BUY! A strikeout is far worse than a groundout or a flyout, because on 95%+ of strikeouts, there's no movement of the baserunners, and no oppurtunity for the other team to make a mistake. In other words, in most cases, there is no possible way that a strikeout can be a "productive out". Flyouts and groundouts, on the other hand, can be far more useful. First off, you're forcing the opposing defense to make a play to get you out when you make contact with the ball. If the defender doesn't make the play, you just got on base. Also, things like sacrifice bunts, hitting the ball to right field to advance a runner to 3rd, sacrifice flies, etc. have been concepts that have been around for years and have become integral parts of the game. Bottom line: you can be productive when you flyout or groundout, and you can't when you strikeout.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

++++ About as solid an answer as you'll get.

Bwitty?

I am definitely going to sell this. A few things with dam's answer first. If the count is a long count then a strikeout could very well be productive. A 10 pitch strikeout is more productive than a ground out if no runners advance or if no one is on base. In my opinion an out is an out no matter how you get it. A ground ball or a pop out can only be productive in very few circumstances. These circumstances include having 1 or no outs and having the player hit the ball away from the base a player is looking to run to or tag up to. If there are two outs, an out is an out no matter what and there is no benefit from it. Also, a big problem with a ground out is the double play. Not only do you get out but so does a teammate and the last time i checked 1 out is better than 2. Also, bunting for a sacrifice may be dangerous also because a bad bunt could result in a flyout to the pitcher causing a double play (ie. in the mets game the other day where arroyo flew out to hernandez who then got out phillips).

Me likey. ++++

Slyder?

MLB ERA
    Buy Buy EVERYDAY and twice on Sunday. There are very few times when a K is more productive. I do not care how many pitches you make the pitcher throw. If you put the ball into play chances are in your favor of something good happening... whether its a base hit, sacrifice, error, whatever. You leave absolutely 0 chance for something to happen by striking out. Especially in key situations. Nothing irritates me more when I'm watching/listening to the Reds games than to see a runner on third with less than 2 outs and all you have to do is put the ball in play to score him and the batter K's trying to hit the big shot rather than just doing the small things and put the ball into play.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

+++

Tally time!

Slyder's in the lead with 20, Bwitty/Dry lovefest is 2nd with 18, and Dam has just come up short with 17.

Last words?

slyder -1 for editting his sell sell sell

MLB ERA
    The refs are on to me!
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Alright, we'll take our final break, and we'll come back for a nice little showdown..Strike 3 style!

HORN ME!

Showdown time! Two men enter, one man..well, you know how this goes.

First up, the Cubs. Derrek Lee is coming back soon, and Wood looks to be headed to the DL. Where will the Cubs finish in the Central this year? Sly?

MLB ERA
    The Cubs is much like a team like the Nats. They have pieces that teams will almost certainly be interested. Greg Maddux, Jacque Jones, Phil Nevin, Todd Walker, Bob Howry, and Scott Eyre are among those I expect them to try and trade for help in the future they are done for 2006 season. They are currently 5th in the NL Central currently and no matter how much they sale I cant see anyway that the Cubs will ever pass the AA team... I mean Pittsburgh Pirates for last in the Central race, Derrick Lee alone has more talent than Pittsburgh's entire offense end of story. They are currently 7.5 games behind Milwaukee for 4th place though, even if they trade Lee then the Brewers are still mostly together. I see the Cubs staying right where they are 5th place. And Dusty Baker shown the door sometime in 06, whether by firing or he just isnt brought back.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast