Thread: Jason Grimsley Suspended for 50 Games

D'Backs Jason Grimsley Suspended for 50 Games

PHOENIX -- Major League Baseball has suspended Jason Grimsley for 50 games under the auspices of its joint drug program, making the former Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher the first Major Leaguer to be so punished without failing a drug test. Grimsley is also the first big leaguer to be suspended under the new rules this season.
    The latest policy, which was negotiated by the owners and the union last year, has provisions to suspend a player if he admits to using performance-enhancing drugs even though he hasn't tested positive. The 50-game suspension is without pay.
    In addition, Ken Kendrick, the managing general partner of the Diamondbacks, said Monday that his club has filed termination papers with the Commissioner's office, stating that Grimsley was unfit to play and should not be compensated for the remainder of the season.
    "We had an 11 a.m. deadline to file the papers and we did so," Kendrick said via phone on Monday morning. "There are clauses in the contract that allow for us to terminate him without pay. We did so, saying he was mentally unfit to play. We still think he is."
    Grimsley, who is under federal investigation for the use and possession of performance-enhancing drugs, asked for and was granted his release this past Wednesday, a day after the story broke and the Diamondbacks became aware of the situation.
    He was confronted by Internal Revenue investigators at his nearby Scottsdale home on April 19. Grimsley had received a package containing two kits of human growth hormone (HGH) worth $1,600 each via the U.S. Postal Service. The IRS had been awaiting delivery of the shipment of the substance and Grimsley surrendered the kits when presented with a search warrant on that date.
    HGH is illegal to use under MLB's current drug policy, but there is not an effective test -- either urine or blood -- to prove a player is using it.
    Just the possession of it, and Grimsley's admission that he was using it in an affidavit leaked by investigators to the media and MLB, would seem to be enough to warrant suspension under the program.
    Grimsley also admitted in the previously sealed affidavit that he had been taking steroids since undergoing shoulder surgery in 2000, and he was told he actually failed a drug test in 2003. His attorney, Edward F. Novak, one of the top criminal attorneys in Arizona, also confirmed that Grimsley was a steroid user.
    Joe Bick, Grimsley's agent, said he was aware of the suspension and declined to comment in detail, saying only that "the union has all the information and is working on it."
    Union officials were not in their New York office Monday morning and weren't available to comment, but a grievance on behalf of Grimsley is expected to be filed in regard to the Diamondbacks matter as soon as he misses a paycheck, a matter that presumably would arise after he serves the 50-game suspension. Major League players are paid during the season on the 1st and 15th day of every month.
    Under normal circumstances, the Basic Agreement stipulates that any player given his unconditional release "for failure to exhibit skill or competitive ability shall be entitled to receive his pay in an amount equal to the unpaid balance of the full salary." But the Diamondbacks are arguing that these are hardly normal circumstances. "We think we're taking the right course," Kendrick said. "If something else happens and we're told we have to pay him, then that's what we'll have to do."

MLB ERA
    Who cares? His career is over anyway.

I forgot to mention, does he actually think anybody is going to sign him if he comes back?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Nah, he's doing the name game, he won't be wanted like Palmiero is not wanted.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    What is he, 37 years old? Yeah, his career is finished.

MLB ERA
    He wanted to be released. He won't be back.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."