Thread: Davey Johnson Back In Baseball With The Nationals

Orioles Davey Johnson Back In Baseball With The Nationals

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Washington Nationals hired former major league manager and player Davey Johnson on Wednesday as a special consultant to general manager Jim Bowden.

The 63-year-old Johnson will contribute to player personnel matters, including the evaluation and scouting of major and minor league players, the team said.

Johnson managed for 14 seasons in the majors with the New York Mets, Cincinnati Reds, Baltimore Orioles and Los Angeles Dodgers. He led the Mets to a World Series championship in 1986 and a division title in 1988.

Bowden was the GM of the Reds teams that Johnson guided to back-to-back division championships in 1994 and 95. Johnson was named American League Manager of the Year in 1997 when he took the Orioles to a division title.

More recently, Johnson coached the Dutch team at the Athens Olympics, managed the United States team in an Olympic qualifying tournament and was a bench coach for the U.S. team at the World Baseball classic.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Who wants to bet the Nationals new owners are thinking ahead beyond this season? Frank Robinson only has a one year contract, as does Jim Bowden. With his DUI charge, and mishandling of the farm system, I think it is safe to say Jim Bowden is gone by the end of the season. The question is, do the Nats install Johnson as a GM, or do they replace Robinson on the bench with Davey Johnson? That will be the question that needs to be answered.

Either role, I think Johnson is finally ready to get back into Major League Baseball. On the plus side, he is right next door to his old buddy Peter Angelos, who screwed him in Baltimore. Payback is in order.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Davey Johnson should not be near the general manager's office. When he was the manager of the Dodgers he demanded a left handed batter in the lineup, resulting in the trade of Gold Glove catcher Charles Johnson in exchange for the rehabbing Todd Hundley, who could not throw out runners anymore.

AAA ERA
    In my opinion Frank Robinson in more in touch with the game than Davey Johnson.It is time for Davey to leave the game on go play golf!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    In my opinion Frank Robinson in more in touch with the game than Davey Johnson.It is time for Davey to leave the game on go play golf!
    Johnson hasn't done much, if anything, at the Major League level for a few years now. I think this is his first venture back into baseball since leaving the Dodgers a few years ago.

AAA ERA
    This is my point! He was not in touch when he left the game the last time and if it is true he is back in I hope it is a short stay. JMO

MLB ERA
    The current Nationals front office and managerial group is pretty awful, so any change is potentially better, thus I won't complain... yet.

AAA ERA
    Awful would be an improvement! Their has been no Managerial group. Robinson has had to do it all by himself and has not done a bad job given the support! JMO