Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pujols defends Bonds; tells everyone to back the **** off.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pujols defends Bonds; tells everyone to back the **** off.

Pujols defends Bonds, himself

Associated Press
    5/17/2006 7:28:17 PM

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Albert Pujols defended Barry Bonds on Wednesday, saying he respects the accomplishments of the San Francisco Giants' slugger.

Pujols was in the St. Louis lineup after a nasty slip and fall and felt good enough to discuss the widespread belief that Bonds' pursuit of Babe Ruth's hallowed 714-homer total is tainted by alleged steroid use. Bonds is one shy of tying Ruth for second on the career list.

Pujols also addressed whispers that have followed him since he broke into the major leagues in 2001 that he fudged on his age.

Last year's NL MVP said people have been "too hard" on Bonds. He and the Cardinals play the Giants for the first time next week in San Francisco.

"I know he's probably made some mistakes in the past, but come on, give the guy a break," Pujols said. "Respect the numbers in the career he has put up."

Pujols feels like he's under suspicion, too, because people don't believe he's really 26.

"You know how many times I hear - and I'm sick and tired of people saying it - that I'm not 26?" Pujols said. "I know how old I am and I know that I don't use any of those bad things people are talking about that I use."

Pujols said in the current climate, players seem to be guilty until proven innocent.

"People talk. That's their job, to write something stupid without finding out," he said. "Like Barry, people are talking about him and they haven't found anything out about the guy. They're talking about making the guy a bad guy. Prove the point first and then you can write anything about it. But before, leave the guy alone."

Pujols added that Major League Baseball could test him for illegal drugs "every day if they want."

"I don't need any type of things like that to help me out with my game," said. "I don't need to do anything more than what I've done in the past or doing right now.

"I'm happy with my career so far and what I've done in my career, and I don't need anything extra."

Pujols, who leads the majors with 19 homers and 48 RBIs, also fouled a ball off his left shin on Tuesday and was a lot more sore than usual. But he was determined to keep playing.

"I'm a little banged up," Pujols said. "But when I'm out there performing I'm going to do my best and I'm going to forget about any pain that I'm going through."

Not long after a rain delay of 101 minutes Tuesday night, Pujols slipped on the plastic on-deck logo that had become dangerously slick while chasing Jose Reyes' foul pop near the Cardinals' dugout in the eighth inning.

Pujols said the thought crossed his mind that the logo was going to come into play just before he slipped. He landed hard on his back and was down for several minutes before deciding to stay in the game.

"Right before I called for the ball I knew I was going to step on it, I think, and I knew I was going to have problems with it," Pujols said. "Hey, it happens. I'm glad it only had to happen one time before they took it out."

Pujols said his upper back took the brunt of the impact, and he also felt his neck pop, but somehow he avoided banging his head, too.

"It could have been worse," he said. "I could have broken my neck, I could have broken my back. The good Lord was watching me."

Pujols had back issues before the slip. He missed his only game of the season earlier this month due to a lower back strain.

"This doesn't help," trainer Barry Weinberg said. "Someone with a good back would be sore today. So, I'm not surprised that he's sore."

Manager Tony La Russa, who's been testy recently when he feels Pujols gets too much attention, seemed to believe reporters were interested in Pujols' condition because of his star status.

"It doesn't concern me any more because it's Albert," La Russa said. "So maybe we should pull the whole team off the field after rain delays and forfeit?"

Just like he wanted to be in the lineup on Wednesday, Pujols said he did not want to leave the game on Tuesday.

"The last thing I want to do is my spot comes up with the game on the line and me being out of the lineup when I know I could have stayed there and hit," Pujols said. "If I can't play, I'm going to come out.

"But if I'm able to do some damage I'm going to stay in there, and I felt I was fine."

MLB ERA
    This makes my respect for Pujols go up more. Baseball is a competition, but the players shouldn't be throwing each other under the bus (Cory Lidle is brought to mind), and I'm glad to see someone finally demonstrate that.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Pujols is a class act all the way around. Did you read what he said Dirty about the age thing?

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Did you read what he said Dirty about the age thing?
    Doesn't mean he's telling the truth either. It's not like he'll come out and say, "yeah, I lied. I'm really 30. I fooled you guys." I'll keep having my suspicions, because: (1) I don't see many 26 year olds balding as bad as Pujols and it's even stranger when it's a super-freak athlete like him; and of course (2) how big he was at 21 when he entered the league and immediately start hitting 35+ homeruns. At 21!

MLB ERA
    I tend to not believe Pujols about being 26 but even I can admit there is substantial evidence going both ways.

1) He immigrated to the US in the early 1990s, after being born in 1980. So there's less of a chance he's lying, since he's lived here for so long.
    2) He attended school in the US, and that would probably help weed out any discrepancies in his age even moreso.

And... Baldness is not necessarily dictated by age.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Miguel Cabrera was hitting that way and Matt Williams has never had hair. Williams was bald at his age. Hell my brother was balder than Pujols. Times are changing and the athletes will get better and better.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Doesn't mean he's telling the truth either. It's not like he'll come out and say, "yeah, I lied. I'm really 30. I fooled you guys." I'll keep having my suspicions, because: (1) I don't see many 26 year olds balding as bad as Pujols and it's even stranger when it's a super-freak athlete like him; and of course (2) how big he was at 21 when he entered the league and immediately start hitting 35+ homeruns. At 21!
    actually, you are quite wrong. male pattern baldness tends to start in your early 20's and is usually quite noticeable by 25. My dad was bald by 27. I'll be bald by 30, i suspect. (i keep it trimmed ultra short most of the time so dont pay much attention to it)
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    What is this board coming to, talking about bald patterns? Grow a pair, S3F.

(BTW, good for Pujols. This needed to be said.)

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    What is this board coming to, talking about bald patterns? Grow a pair, S3F.

(BTW, good for Pujols. This needed to be said.)
    why did it need to be said? we need to see other players defending Bonds? barry did what he did and now has to live w/ it and he can take care of himslef. i'd like to see mroe players question Bonds instad of just backing him blindly b/c he's "one of them". I like pujols, this is the 1st negative about him- hopefully he keeps his mouth shut in the future.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc
    i'd like to see mroe players question Bonds instad of just backing him blindly b/c he's "one of them". I like pujols, this is the 1st negative about him- hopefully he keeps his mouth shut in the future.
    How can you criticize Pujols's opinion? I think you've got it backwards, (y)our opinions are actually irrelevant and Bonds's colleagues are the ones that have merit. I think most people here on the Bonds bandwagon know my thoughts on him, but I have to admit if a guy like Pujols jumps to his defense I have more respect today for both Pujols and Bonds than I did yesterday.

Derek Jeter backed Jason Giambi in the same way that Pujols is backing Bonds here. Why no venom for Jeter or Giambi, junc?

AAA ERA
    Pujols is a great player and a true ambassador for baseball. The real problem with this game is not the players, but the owners and the commissioner's office who not only allowed but incouraged the use of steroids when it put the fans butts back in the seats after the last strike! Pujois is a man who stand up for what he believes, and I admire him for that.

MLB ERA
    Why would you want the players to keep their mouth's shut? I rather listen to Albert Pujols' real opinions over some assclown like Jim Rome, any day of the week.

MLB ERA
    Here's the best way to compare things.

Albert Pujols - defender of Bonds.
    Cory Lidle - attacker of Bonds.

Albert Pujols - best player in the game at this moment.
    Cory Lidle - sucky pitcher.

Thus, defending Bonds is better.

So the steroids debate takes another turn. Man am I sick of this subject.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    How can you criticize Pujols's opinion? I think you've got it backwards, (y)our opinions are actually irrelevant and Bonds's colleagues are the ones that have merit. I think most people here on the Bonds bandwagon know my thoughts on him, but I have to admit if a guy like Pujols jumps to his defense I have more respect today for both Pujols and Bonds than I did yesterday.

Derek Jeter backed Jason Giambi in the same way that Pujols is backing Bonds here. Why no venom for Jeter or Giambi, junc?
    I don't have venom for Pujols, I was responding to a poster who said what Pujols said "needed to be said". Pujols is a player, 99% of the time players will back players, it takes no guts to back Bonds but it takes guts to attack him and call out the truth like Lidle did. Pujols is only spewing a "company line" btw players, if OJ was a baseball player they'd tell us he was innocent.

as for Jeter and Giambi- they are TEAMMATES. What would you expect froma teammate? he and other Yanks defended Straw, Doc and others- it doesn't make it right but they are teammates and that's to be expected.

Why would you want the players to keep their mouth's shut? I rather listen to Albert Pujols' real opinions over some assclown like Jim Rome, any day of the week.
    I dont wanbt to hear the support just b/c Barry is a fellow player, it's obvious to anyone who has watched him that he didn't do it the right way. I have respect for Lidle for calling him out, i lose some respect for guys that publicly support bonds even though they know he did something wrong just b/c he's a player and it's the players vs. the media and fans. The players never seem to mind when they cash the checks thanks to the media and faor when they get cheers and good press but anything negative and they go into a bunker w/ each other.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast