Thread: Report: Clemens agrees with Houston

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Report: Clemens agrees with Houston

Credit ESPN, Newsday, Rotoworld...

Astros GM Tim Purpura denied the Newsday report that his club and Roger Clemens have agreed to terms, saying that he hadn't spoken with Clemens' agents since Tuesday.
    Maybe the report was premature, but it's likely only a matter of time. It would be a big surprise if Clemens declines to return and a bigger one if he picks a team other than Houston. May. 30 - 5:39 pm et

Credit: ESPN.com(http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2463566)

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura denied a report on Tuesday that Roger Clemens had picked a team for 2006, saying the situation was "status quo."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, and Astros' owner Drayton McLane also denied the report.

Newsday reported on its Web site that Clemens had decided to re-sign with the Astros and an announcement would be made as soon as today.

Purpura denied the report, telling ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "It's status quo, except for all the media attention we've had."

"We've had no conduct with Roger's people today," said Purpura, adding that the last time he talked to Hendricks was Sunday.

Purpura said he was told then that "Roger was still in the mode of trying to decide what he wants to do." So essentially, Purpura said, "We're just awaiting his decision."

Hendricks told ESPN.com that he hasn't spoken to the Astros on Tuesday.

"Contrary to Newsday, there is no agreement with the Astros," Hendricks said.

McLane also reiterated that Clemens has not signed with the team.

"We haven't finished the deal yet," McLane told the Houston Chronicle. "We've been standing by. Tim or I have talked to him every two or three days. They haven't given us a decision. They haven't said a word to us about it. That's complete news to me. We haven't finalized the deal yet nor has he told us. Boy that's total news to us."

Clemens has accelerated his workouts in recent weeks in anticipation for his return. The Astros, Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers have been rumored as possible landing spots for the Rocket.

In December, the Astros declined to offer Clemens arbitration after he went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA in 32 starts. However, Clemens began to wear down late in the season and lasted just two innings in Houston's Game One loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury.

In his two seasons with the Astros, Clemens posted a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA.

An 11-time All-Star, Clemens has more wins than any other living pitcher and ranks ninth all-time with 341 victories. In 672 career games, he is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and has recorded 4,502 career strikeouts, trailing only Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If true, this is a huge addition for Houston, obviously, not only because they have 3 rookies in their rotation, but Andy Pettitte's recent pitching hasn't been real good, and Clemens should help with that.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well its about freakin time! Now he can be the first pitcher to sit out the first two months of the season and still win the Cy Young. The only reason why he didn't win it last season was the fact that he had no run support whatsoever.
    rf28

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    that prick Clemens has never turned down money...of course he's coming back

I hope he gets hammered night in and night out...day in and day out...whenever...wherever...by whoever...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I hope he puts up an incredible half a season.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Well its about freakin time! Now he can be the first pitcher to sit out the first two months of the season and still win the Cy Young. The only reason why he didn't win it last season was the fact that he had no run support whatsoever.
    And the fact that Carpenter was pitching in the NL!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's official, Press Conference on ESPNews right now.

Does this put Houston as the front runners for the NL Wildcard?

MLB ERA
    Sweet he's coming to Round Rock. Ima buy me some tix.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    NL WC is always up for grabs.

MLB ERA
    yawn

AA ERA
    Houston makes ANOTHER late run? I'd count on it.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle