Thread: Gammons suffers brain aneurysm, undergoes surgery

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

Gammons suffers brain aneurysm, undergoes surgery

Very, very sad. The most well-known and accomplished baseball writer of our era and a personal idol of mine suffered a serious brain aneurysm today and is currently undergoing surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2502295

MLB ERA
    Hope he gets well soon. One of the few characters I enjoyed watching on ESPN

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This really doesn't sound good for him. No telling what type of brain damage this could have caused.

Thoughts and prayers, folks.
    rf28

My prayers are with Peter and his family. The article I read was rather vague, but an aneurysm is never simple. I certainly hope he is able to make a full recovery and comeback. If not, a great analyst will be lost.

MLB ERA
    Great guy, definetly value his opinion, even though he's flagrantly a Sawx fan. Still, a sad day.

MLB ERA
    Can a medical pro tell us what is condition is all about? It sounds very bad.

MLB ERA
    Probably more of a medical pro than most on this board, though anyone else feel free to correct or elaborate further on this post.

An aneurysm is where a blood vessel suddenly grows by more than 50% of its original size. The articles don't mention much about what type of aneurysm had, so I'll skip over that stuff since it's describing everything to discuss one thing... but basically, the increased vessel size poses a higher risk for rupture and blood clotting, both of which are usually deadly when in the brain. If either of these occurs, the chances of survival are incredibly slim.

Since Gammons got into a hospital and operated on quick, he's got a pretty good shot of making it out okay. Any clots that formed could have been fairly easily discovered and fixed. Nothing so far seems to be reporting a rupture, so that's great news.

too many factors come into play to make any real statements about his survivability - age, location, severity, health, condition of the nervous system all factor in, so it's impossible to say anything.

The next part I took directly from wikipedia:
    In the US, about 20% of the people make full recoveries, 20% recover but are disabled, and 60% die.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Probably more of a medical pro than most on this board, though anyone else feel free to correct or elaborate further on this post.

An aneurysm is where a blood vessel suddenly grows by more than 50% of its original size. The articles don't mention much about what type of aneurysm had, so I'll skip over that stuff since it's describing everything to discuss one thing... but basically, the increased vessel size poses a higher risk for rupture and blood clotting, both of which are usually deadly when in the brain. If either of these occurs, the chances of survival are incredibly slim.

Since Gammons got into a hospital and operated on quick, he's got a pretty good shot of making it out okay. Any clots that formed could have been fairly easily discovered and fixed. Nothing so far seems to be reporting a rupture, so that's great news.

too many factors come into play to make any real statements about his survivability - age, location, severity, health, condition of the nervous system all factor in, so it's impossible to say anything.

The next part I took directly from wikipedia:
    In the US, about 20% of the people make full recoveries, 20% recover but are disabled, and 60% die.
    According to ESPN Gammons is in ICU now after surgery to treat the anuerism and is resting. Hes only 61. My prayers are with him and his family.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AA ERA
    Definately hated to hear this... I hope he makes a full recovery and is able to continue his job as ESPN's top baseball analyst, things just wouldn't be the same without him. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Word is that he will be in intensive care for a week. I really hope he makes it. A man like Peter Gammons doesn't deserve to die.

Gammons is coming out with a music Cd ? I wonder if it's produced by Dr. Dre.
    What is the worst source of diarrhea ?
    A)A bowl of chili, or
    B)Curt Schilling's mouth

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    You know, if I suffered an aneurysm, I wouldn't want to put my family through pain and torture whether or not its worth living. Like McKain said, 60% die. I'd much rather die than becoming a vegetable.

MLB ERA
    That sucks. I don't know if I would want to go ahead and die or not. It just depends on how my life has gone so far.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    love the guy, i hope he has a full recovery!!!!!!