Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selig: MLB will not celebrate Bonds passing Ruth

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Its somewhat a slap in the face to the Babe.
    It's a slap in the face to Hank Aaron. He's the one who holds the record, not Ruth.

I don't mind this at all because they are right, it's not a record so why celebrate it in a big way? Either way it wouldn't have mattered to me. But I will say this, if it was a player who was more beloved and not connected to the steroid issues, I'm sure a big celebration would be coming.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I can agree and then disagree. This isn't just another player, its Babe ****ign Ruth. Babe is the best player ever. 714 is still an important number and only one person has more.
    again i reiterate my point

they didn't celebrate griffey passing the likes of mantle, williams, banks, etc...sure they gave him the "nod" but they didn't have a huge party, stop the game, etc. its no big deal.

why celebrate a #2 person. ok he passes babe, so what. all you're going to see is a big 71-whatever number on the screen out in CF, and then more than likely a curtain call just to be an ass.

people are making a big deal out of this. selig didn't have to release this statement because its common sense. you don't celebrate #2
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Did Selig even say in the past that "hey we will celebrate Bonds passing ruth this year!" if he didn't the why the hell did he just say that? he should have just shut up and moved on.

You got to be believe selig did this cause of all those steriod alligations against bonds which he has no proof that there true or not, plus that stupid book that came out

Not a big deal for being 2nd on the HR list? Griffey passed bunch of players who majority of the people outside of baseball dont even know, now almost everyone knows who ruth is, but like reefer said bonds dont give e a **** all he cares is about his team and taking them to the playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83
    Did Selig even say in the past that "hey we will celebrate Bonds passing ruth this year!" if he didn't the why the hell did he just say that? he should have just shut up and moved on.

You got to be believe selig did this cause of all those steriod alligations against bonds which he has no proof that there true or not, plus that stupid book that came out

Not a big deal for being 2nd on the HR list? Griffey passed bunch of players who majority of the people outside of baseball dont even know, now almost everyone knows who ruth is, but like reefer said bonds dont give e a **** all he cares is about his team and taking them to the playoffs
    HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!! I can't stand Bonds, but we wouldn't even be having this discussion if Selig would have kept his mouth shut, why did he feel the need to announce something like that. Selig is the one that is making a big deal of it. Now we have to hear more about Bonds, I've heard enough already.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    again i reiterate my point

they didn't celebrate griffey passing the likes of mantle, williams, banks, etc...sure they gave him the "nod" but they didn't have a huge party, stop the game, etc. its no big deal.

why celebrate a #2 person. ok he passes babe, so what. all you're going to see is a big 71-whatever number on the screen out in CF, and then more than likely a curtain call just to be an ass.

people are making a big deal out of this. selig didn't have to release this statement because its common sense. you don't celebrate #2
    I'm sorry but there is a huge difference between Griffey passing guys that others active [players have done in recent years. This is #715 we are talking about which only one other person has done.

How many instances in the past can anyone name... Where the game was stopped and a celebration started over a guy moving in to second all time for any record????? Are there any?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    They celebrated Sosa passing Maris after McGwire already did it. This isn't just any record guys, this is the Babe!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12