Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the Allstar game sucks

If it was up to me I'd just let worthy sportwriters and league executives decide. The fans voting is just dumb. It turns into a popularity contest and not about who really deserves it.

If they move the ASG to the end of the season, I'd have far less interest. If players don't go because they want to rest, it's their choice. But players do the same exact thing with the pro bowl anyway.

Ideally, they would have some sort of system to determine all-stars. But really, there's no perfect system. If they wanted to eliminate a lot of the fan bias' power they could split up the country into some amount of regions and then assign a point value based on voting. Top vote getter gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etc.

Good points. At least the players going would be worthy instead of the best half season players.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    If they move the ASG to the end of the season, I'd have far less interest. If players don't go because they want to rest, it's their choice. But players do the same exact thing with the pro bowl anyway.

Ideally, they would have some sort of system to determine all-stars. But really, there's no perfect system. If they wanted to eliminate a lot of the fan bias' power they could split up the country into some amount of regions and then assign a point value based on voting. Top vote getter gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etc.

Won't happen. It is a nice contract incentive for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    I wouldn't mind if the ASG is abolished for good. Ratings has not been good for the ASG in recent years and I don't think many fans and players care anymore as RLA mentioned.

MLB ERA
    Remember when Reds made up the entire starting infield?

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Remember when Reds made up the entire starting infield?
    Yep. Don't forget the Blue Jays had their entire starting infield in the 1993 ASG at Camden Yards.

Not to take any cheap shots(from a Bonds quote) but the All Star game is more of a entertainment spectacle. Pro Sports at some level are there as entertainment.

I don't disagree with your point logically but without the fans...there is no event.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerkinValdez37
    If it was up to me I'd just let worthy sportwriters and league executives decide. The fans voting is just dumb. It turns into a popularity contest and not about who really deserves it.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RLA68
    Not to take any cheap shots(from a Bonds quote) but the All Star game is more of a entertainment spectacle. Pro Sports at some level are there as entertainment.

I don't disagree with your point logically but without the fans...there is no event.
    which is why homefiled advantage in the world series should not be on the line for the ASG.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    I go to MLB.com today and what do I find? Allstar ballots for this year. We are 15 ****in days into the season and Allstar ballots? This is why we never get to see the people that deserve to be in there. That and people as a whole are stupid. I can 400 times a day for Pedro Feliz til Allstar weekend and make him an Allstar. This is absolutely ridiculous and needs to be stopped.

wow i never thought of that, you brought up a good point

ps lol i already voted

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres

I even got an e-mail from MLB, which many of you probably did too, it was titled....Vote early, vote often....... If that isn't some stoopid shiite!!!!!
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    I wouldn't mind if the ASG is abolished for good. Ratings has not been good for the ASG in recent years and I don't think many fans and players care anymore as RLA mentioned.
    The reason the ASG hasn't been good in recent years is that the players are being chosen because of their reputation or how much fans like them, not on merit. The ASG game should NOT be abolished, the technique of selecting players should be abolished. Fix the "system", and that in combination with steroid testing will bring back some integrity to the game. Homeruns seem down this year, and I don't believe it's a fluke.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    yeah its called great pitching.

MLB ERA
    The ASG is fine, the way it's set up does not bother me.

So what some players get voted in based on past season's production, but honestly that is only the case for a select few. 9 out of 10 times, they get the right players in there.

Even if they don't, it's a freaking exhibition. I'm not losing any sleep over it.

MLB ERA
    I lose sleep over it because unless a Padre is having a superman type season, no way in hell he gets voted in, especially now with internet voting.

Loretta got in last year because the managers were smart and picked him as a sub, but he should've been starting.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Well, I like Loretta and I would vote for him. Does that count for anything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast