Thread: Kent signs extension

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Dodgers Kent signs extension

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3652083

VERO BEACH, Fla. - Dodgers second baseman Jeff Kent laid to rest any question as of whether he would retire after the season, signing a one-year contract extension Wednesday with a club option for 2008. The option will become automatic if Kent stays relatively healthy, meaning Kent and newly signed shortstop Rafael Furcal should anchor the middle of the Dodgers infield for at least the next three seasons.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but it is believed to carry an $11.5 million guarantee, including a $2 million signing bonus and a base salary for next season of $9 million. The contract also is tied into his 2006 performance. He will earn an additional $250,000 for each of 500, 525 and 550 plate appearances this season.

The club option is for $7 million, with a $500,000 buyout. But if Kent has 550 plate appearances in 2007, a reasonable expectation if he can avoid the disabled list in a season when he will be 39, the option will vest at $9 million.
    Seems a bit pricey to me...what do Dodger fans think?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, he's pricey, but I'll take him over Shawn Green any day.

MLB ERA
    I thought you guys had a spec coming up...Blake DeWitt would move to 2B because he's blocked by LaRoche at 3rd.

Kent can move to 1B then.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I thought you guys had a spec coming up...Blake DeWitt would move to 2B because he's blocked by LaRoche at 3rd.
    The Dodgers aren't the Athletics. LA's only home-grown product who didn't completely bust at the big leagues is Gagne.

MLB ERA
    Well, the Dodgers have 8 of the top 100 prospects according to John Sickel's top 100 and 9 of the top 100 according to Baseball America...way more than the A's actually