Thread: Top Prospect To Switch Positions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Top Prospect To Switch Positions

Top Los Angeles Dodgers prospect Joel Guzman has been moved from shortstop to left field, and manager Grady Little said the young power hitter could make the jump from Double-A to the big leagues this year.

"It's a possibility," Little said Wednesday. "Right now, I'd say he's got a chance. He acts like a major leaguer. He thinks he's a major leaguer. That's a lot of the battle right there.

"Anything's a possibility as long as they're in this camp. Baseball is full of competitions."

The 6-foot-6 Guzman has played mostly at shortstop during four minor league seasons. He hit .287 with 42 homers and 128 RBI in 122 games with Jacksonville of the Southern League last year.

"This kid has got some abilities with the bat that are hard to ignore," Little said. "His bat will dictate how much he plays and where he plays as much as anything else. His bat dictates the change [in position] in the first place."

That being said, Little said he didn't want to rush the 21-year-old Dominican, and indicated if Guzman wasn't ready to play full-time, he'd probably begin the season in the minors.

When asked if Guzman reminded him of anyone, Little replied: "Somebody big who hits the ball a long way. This guy could be special. He's special now."

Guzman, who hit a long home run in an intrasquad game Tuesday, said he didn't foresee any problems playing in the outfield.

"I want to play in the big leagues, no matter what it takes," he said. "That's what I'm looking for this spring -- a chance to prove I can play in the big leagues. I'll be excited when it happens, when I get to L.A."

Guzman said Little spoke with him about the position change for about 10 minutes earlier this week.

Jose Cruz Jr., who hit .301 with six homers and 22 RBI in 47 games after joining the Dodgers last season, entered spring training as the favorite to win the left field job. Cruz signed a one-year, $2.91 million contract plus incentives during the offseason.

Cruz, who will play for Puerto Rico in the upcoming World Baseball Classic, said the possible emergence of Guzman wouldn't change his approach.

"I'm not worried about it," Cruz said. "I'm going to L.A., I'm already signed. It's their decision. I can only give it what I've got."

Bench coach Dave Jauss spent time working with Guzman in the outfield Wednesday.

"A good shortstop should be able to play anywhere," Jauss said. "The bat determines most of these guys, anyway. The biggest thing is inexperience. I don't pinpoint one thing that's going to limit him out there."

When asked the timetable for Guzman to play an exhibition game in the outfield, Jauss replied: "Not long. There are people who become proficient going from the infield to the outfield in one month. He's been receptive from day one on everything."

Little said it's likely Guzman will get "a plate appearance or so" Thursday in the Dodgers' exhibition opener against Atlanta, but wouldn't play in the outfield for a while.

"He's always been in the infield," Little said. "He's got an outfield glove. I don't know how much it's been broken in."
    I would have thought they would move him to second since Kent is likely to retire at season's end. Maybe there is a reason to keep Izzy after all.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's a waste of Guzman's talent to move him to the outfield unless they're sure he's going to be like Alfonso Soriano with the infield glove.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It was only a matter of time. Ever since Joel hit the spect scene it was know he was moving, probably to third. A couple of prospects kinda ruined that idea so, left field it is!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yeah but why not to second base where they have no one to fill in next year? If Guzman can hit like people say he can, then he can become the next Kent (with the bat). That way you keep your production numbers out of the second base position. Just strikes me as odd.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Blake Dewitt is expected to move to second, and will be a better defender there than Guzman would. Guzman's only competition in left field is Jose Cruz and Delwyn Young.