Thread: Dodgers will interview Giants executive Colletti for GM job

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dodgers will interview Giants executive Colletti for GM job

Dodgers will interview Giants executive Colletti for GM job

By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
    November 10, 2005
    LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The Los Angeles Dodgers plan to interview San Francisco Giants vice president and assistant general manager Ned Colletti for their vacant GM job.

Team spokesman Josh Rawitch confirmed Thursday that Colletti would be interviewed, but said he didn't know when.

Kim Ng, the Dodgers' assistant GM, interviewed for the position last Saturday. If hired to succeed Paul DePodesta, she would become major league baseball's first female GM.

In addition, the Dodgers remain interested in John Hart, who resigned as the Texas Rangers' general manager Oct. 4 but remains under contract as a consultant.

``Those are the only candidates who have been made public and they all remain in contention for the position,'' Rawitch said.

The 50-year-old Colletti has been in the Giants' organization for 11 years -- the past nine as assistant to general manager Brian Sabean. Before that, Colletti worked for the Chicago Cubs from 1982-94.

The 57-year-old Hart acknowledged Wednesday night in an interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that he has had two telephone conversations with Dodgers owner Frank McCourt.

``My strong pull is toward the Rangers,'' Hart told the newspaper. ``If I had to make the call (tonight), that's probably where I envision myself going forward. I am not pursuing (the Dodgers' position). I had a great conversation with Frank McCourt. I probably do have a decision to make, but it would have to be something really special to pull me away from the Rangers.''

Hart said he had not ruled out the possibility of interviewing with the Dodgers.

A message left for Hart on Thursday wasn't immediately returned.

The 36-year-old Ng has represented the Dodgers at the GM meetings this week along with Roy Smith, the team's vice president of player development.

The Dodgers' GM job became vacant Oct. 29 when DePodesta was fired after less than two years on the job. DePodesta signed a five-year contract in February 2004, shortly after Frank McCourt purchased the team from News Corp.

The Dodgers are also without a manager. McCourt said at the time of DePodesta's firing that the search to replace Jim Tracy would be on hold until a GM is in place.

The team's 71-91 record this year was its worst since 1992 and second-poorest since the franchise moved from Brooklyn to Los Angeles in 1958.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Colletti should get the GM gig hands down over Ng, IMO. Colletti works for Sabean, one of the top GMs in the league (A.J. Pierzynski for Joe Nathan,etc. blew up in his face but the Giants compete each season while under a restricted budget) while Ng was an assistant to doormats like Cashman and Evans. Ng wasn't in the news when she worked under DePodesta as often when she was Evans' No. 2, leading me to believe that Ng for the most part stayed out DePodesta's business.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Edit: Take your meaningless posts elsewhere.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 11-12-2005 at 12:55 AM. Reason: another Kingdom of Zito post
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Pwned.

Yeah, looks like the MLB will have to suffer without a female GM...boo hoo.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dodgers will interview Giants executive Colletti for GM job

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Colletti should get the GM gig hands down over Ng, IMO. Colletti works for Sabean, one of the top GMs in the league (A.J. Pierzynski for Joe Nathan,etc. blew up in his face but the Giants compete each season while under a restricted budget)
    Ugh, leave it to me to give praise to Brian ****in Sabean and his pee-brained cronies. At least it's a good thing that his team now sucks.