Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trammel a candidate for the Dodgers job

Trammel a candidate for the Dodgers job

Linky

It didn't take Alan Trammell long to become a candidate for a major league managerial job.

The Los Angeles Dodgers said Wednesday that Trammell would be one of five candidates interviewed for the managerial vacancy.

Other candidates include former Tigers infielder Torey Lovullo -- Double-A manager of the year at Akron in the Cleveland farm system -- and Midland native Terry Collins, who has managed for six years in the majors with the Astros and Angels. Collins is currently the Dodgers' director of player development.

Trammell and Lovullo -- a standout at UCLA -- played together for the Tigers in 1988-89.

Former infielder and manager Jerry Royster and a so-far unannounced fifth candidate round out the Dodgers' field.

The L.A. job opened when Jim Tracy and the club parted by mutual consent Monday -- the same day the Tigers fired Trammell after three years.

On Tuesday, when Trammell was asked about his immediate future in baseball, he said, "My first choice is on-field managing or coaching." And of managing, he said:

"I look forward to doing it again some time. I'll never forget the opportunity I've had, being in this situation I have the last three years. I've learned a lot and it's toughened me up. It was an invaluable experience."

General manager Paul DePodesta said he has a secondary list of candidates and that additional interviews might be held. The Dodgers want a manager before the World Series.
    As much as I like Trammel, I don't think he's going to be a great fit for the Dodger job. He should try to get a minor job with a club and then get a manager job down the line. I just don't see Trammel being succesful if he does in fact get the Dodger job.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Depodesta needs to work a lot of magic to make any manager look good. Collins looks like the best fit as he is already in the Dodgers org. and knows a lot about what this team can do.

AA ERA
    Yea I'd be surprised if Trammel gets it.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Trammel shouldn't have been fired in the first place, but the Tigers wanted Leyland
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Dodgers might want to look at former Dodger and now Rangers pitching coach Orel Hershiser. He has a great attitude and knows baseball and this organization. He has been under Buck Showalter for two seasons now.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    Trammel shouldn't have been fired in the first place, but the Tigers wanted Leyland
    Why shouldn't Trammel have been fired in the first place? I can understand the attachment of Trammel for SD fans. Because he was a great position coach for you guys. He just wasn't a great manager. Tigers are better off without him and with Leyland. It was a great move by Dombrowski. I wish the best for Trammel.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Because Trammell had one of the best turn arounds in baseball history and has young pitching hadn't come through yet.

Pitching isn't what hurt the Tigers, it was the inconsistency. Some games the pitching actually was the bright spot of the team. Best turnaround in baseball history? Hard to believe. Give Trammel all the credit for a nice Tiger turnaround. Don't give any credit to Dombrowski who brought in Bonderman, Verlander, Shelton, Pudge, amongst others.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Not giving Trammell all the credit but he had a big part. Bonderman? What has he done? Nothing yet and that's my point. That pitching has yet to really develop and he wasn't given a fair shot. Also those young guys you mentioned haven't had a chance to play a full season. They should have given Trammell a chance to manage with some real talent. Inconsistency wasn't his fault. This team had a lot of KEY injuries and a lot of inexperinced guys on that team. Is it his fault that Inge's bat couldn't be found after the break? Trammell was given a rotten team and he did better than most with it. Leyland could not get this team a .500 record with the problems the Tigers had this year.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Leyland could not get this team a .500 record with the problems the Tigers had this year.
    Exhibit A: 1999 Colorado Rockies

Let me get the laughing out first before I respond..........w00t. I got that out of my system.

Bonderman has shown signs of being an ace. That's what he's done. He's only going to improve. He's young. Keep picking on the pitching but it wasn't as bad as you'd like to make it out to be. Shelton & Inge have had a chance to play a full season. Inconsistency wasn't his fault? Nope it wasn't. None at all. Because when a player gets in a slump it's about the hitting coach working with the hitter, the pitching coach working with the pitchers. It's about coaches working with players to correct what's wrong. Lot of inexperienced guys? Where'd you see inexperience? SP, yah. Bullpen, a little bit. As for the IF and OF, not really. Key injuries? Arguably yes and no. Pudge, Ordonez, and Percival were all replaced pretty well. Trammel had a good enough chance. But yet you seem to know more than the people who fired him, the people who had to work with him every day, the patient people who had to watch a inexperienced manager try to become a decent manager.

Here's a nice quote from Maroth:

``I know he won a championship with Florida and had a lot of good years in Pittsburgh,'' Maroth said. ``Jim Leyland has a lot of experience and that's something he has over Tram because this was his first managerial job.''
    From Trammel himself:

``Looking back, it is fair to say that we hit a wall,'' Trammell said last week.
    Maroth is excited about Leyland. Trammel himself implied they wouldn't of gotten any further with him as manager. It was a good time for Trammel and Tigers to part ways. How many total games of the Tigers did you watch last year? There's a good question for you.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    How many total games of the Tigers did you watch last year? There's a good question for you.
    I take it that you're from Michigan.

Close from there. I've been able to watch enough Tiger fans to not just throw out random statements with no base like LTR.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Dodgers might want to look at former Dodger and now Rangers pitching coach Orel Hershiser. He has a great attitude and knows baseball and this organization. He has been under Buck Showalter for two seasons now.
    I did bring his name up in "Tracy is out" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    It will be interesting to see who DePodesta hires to be his manager. He may be interested in someone who favors stats like Joe Maddon of the Angels as opposed to old school managers such as Leyland or Piniella. If Lasorda has his way, we may be looking at Bobby Valentine, Orel Hershiser, or Dusty Baker, whom I wouldn't mind as a manager unlike Cubs fans. If Colborn stays in L.A., there's no way he'd let Dusty "ruin" his pitchers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ok now its my chance to laugh at you. I never said Bonderman was shit. What I did say is he hasn't done anything yet and hasn't really developed. As far as an ace goes, maybe for that terrible team yes but anywhere else he would be a number three or four but he is young and still learning. You need to read more carefully. The key guys went out and guys with little experince filled in. Shelton has not played a full season. Inge's problems were his own and I am certain hitting coaches were working with him everyday. These guys are professional ballplayers and only have themselves to blame. None of these reasons were Trammell's fault. Yes they hit a wall and everyone knows that, especially Trammell. Yes I know more than all those people because they want to win now and that just isn't going to happen when you have players injured and a shitty rotation. Mike Maroth had a simple quote which meant nothing at all, same for Trammell's. he wasn't given a fair shot and Maroth Knows it.

I'm sad to see him go," pitcher Mike Maroth said. "I would've liked to see him get another year, but these things happen in sports."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast