Thread: Bradley out for season?

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Dodgers Bradley out for season?

Bradley

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Bradley's year could be over
    Season-ending knee surgery is recommended for the outfielder who recently stirred up some controversy.

By BILL PLUNKETT
    The Orange County Register

LOS ANGELES – Unable to heal the rift between Milton Bradley and teammate Jeff Kent, the Dodgers will try to heal Bradley's left knee instead.

A day after he accused Kent of not knowing "how to deal with African-American players" and being an ineffective leader, Bradley was called in to meet with Dodgers management, including owner Frank McCourt and General Manager Paul DePodesta. But it was an MRI taken earlier in the day that settled the issue for now.

DePodesta said the MRI revealed an 80 percent tear in Bradley's patellar tendon and "some issues" with his anterior cruciate ligament. Dodgers team physician Frank Jobe examined Bradley's knee and recommended season-ending surgery.

Bradley will seek a second opinion later this week, but he was not in the lineup even before the announcement about his knee exam. Manager Jim Tracy indicated Bradley's absence had more to do with the meeting with ownership.

"He needs to be out of the lineup today," Tracy said.

Tracy also said the issue that prompted the meeting was not the clubhouse confrontation between Bradley and Kent that took place Saturday in Florida, but Bradley's public comments Tuesday about racism in baseball and his relationship with Kent.

"We're not sitting here talking about this days later if it had stayed in here," said Tracy, who met with Kent and Bradley individually and said his advice to both was "to say nothing."

"I did (advise that), yes," he said. "In every meeting I had - keep it in-house."

DePodesta said the meeting with Bradley was to discuss the organization's expectations of players and "the values of this organization."

"We feel comfortable we've addressed what has gone on in the last few days," DePodesta said, adding that management did not "take sides" by meeting with Bradley and the "entire team has been addressed."

But DePodesta declined to specify whether Bradley had been fined by the organization or whether a suspension was contemplated before the severity of his injury was known.

"Certainly we felt it needed to be addressed and it has been," DePodesta said. "I'd rather keep that private."

Bradley's injury might solve the problem of how the Dodgers could move forward with he and Kent in the clubhouse for the remainder of this season. But DePodesta will have a decision to make this winter when Bradley's $2.5 million contract expires and he becomes eligible for salary arbitration again.

The Dodgers could decide Bradley's talent is not worth the trouble that has trailed him and not offer arbitration, making him a free agent.

"There are a lot of things that would go into that decision, including the health of his knee," DePodesta said.

This week's turmoil was precipitated by Kent confronting Bradley after he failed to score from first base on a Kent double Saturday. Knowing now that Bradley had been playing with an injured knee, Kent was asked if he would do things differently.

"I won't give you specifics," he said. "But I knew what I was doing."

SLIPPING AWAY?

Wednesday was the first day of the fall semester at the University of Tennessee. The Dodgers' first pick in this year's draft, right-hander Luke Hochevar, is enrolled but did not attend classes. As soon as Hochevar attends class for his senior season, the Dodgers will lose his rights and Hochevar will re-enter the draft.

That seems likely with negotiations between the Dodgers' director of amateur scouting, Logan White, and Hochevar's adviser, Scott Boras, having progressed little.

"We still have a small window (until he attends class) but I'm not real optimistic that he's going to sign," White said.

The Dodgers have offered a signing package worth $2.5 million to Hochevar, the 40th overall pick. Hochevar is seeking $4 million and a spot on the 40-man roster, a package more commensurate with the top-10 pick he was expected to be. Hochevar fell to the Dodgers because of questions about his "signability," but White said he doesn't regret taking a chance on signing Hochevar.

"We felt that, with where we were picking and the way we feel about the talent in our system, that gave us a little leeway to roll the dice and make a run at it," White said.

NOTES

Outfielder J.D. Drew was set to take a step forward in his recovery from a fractured left wrist by hitting off a tee Wednesday. Drew said he still feels discomfort in the wrist when he does "anything violent like swinging a bat." But he said he is trying to remain optimistic about a return before the end of the season. ...

Shortstop Cesar Izturis missed his second consecutive game because of a sore back.

TONIGHT

Brad Penny (6-7, 3.60) opposes the Rockies' Aaron Cook (1-1, 5.16) at 7:10. The game will be broadcast on FSN2, KFWB/980 and KWKW/1330 (Spanish).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    DePodesta is basically indicating he'll be open about trading Parker Brother.

They better sign Hochevar soon, but no big loss if they don't. He's not Justin Upton or Alex Gordon.

MLB ERA

Dodgers

Bradley

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Bradley, Dodgers disappear in West

By RANDY YOUNGMAN

LOS ANGELES – Notes, quotes, observations and opinions, wondering if Milton Bradley's season-ending knee injury could have come at a more convenient time for the Dodgers:

Poof! Just like that, Bradley disappeared, for a second opinion, much to the relief of the Dodgers brass, I'm sure.

I hope the doctor in Cincinnati also told Bradley how foolish it was to play the "race card" in his war of words with Dodgers teammate Jeff Kent.

I really don't know who is more to blame for the recent confrontation, which was precipitated by Kent calling out Bradley for not hustling in a game in Florida.

As Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel mused, "Isn't this a little like choosing sides between Iran and North Korea?"

I do know this: When you put two volatile elements in such close proximity to each other, you shouldn't be surprised if there is a chemical reaction.

So maybe the man who put them together, General Manager Paul DePodesta, is most responsible.

And, to his credit, DePodesta is smart enough to point the finger at himself, because it was he who overhauled the roster after the Dodgers won the NL West in 2004.

"I'm the general manager, and at this point things are not going the way we wanted them to go," DePodesta told reporters before Friday night's Dodgers-Astros game. "And ultimately the responsibility is mine. ... If I said anything differently, I would be removed from reality."

Of course if he said anything differently, he might also be removed from his job, because earlier in the day owner Frank McCourt was quoted as telling a Los Angeles sports columnist that the "biggest lesson I've learned so far is the importance of character in building a winning baseball team."

McCourt also said DePodesta "now sees things in a different light."

Sounds like a warning to me.

DePodesta better be a fast learner, and Dodgers fans better be patient, because McCourt signed DePodesta to a five-year contract last year.

When told that DePodesta was holding himself accountable for the team's struggles this season, Dodgers pitcher Derek Lowe said that was noble.

"But players can make the front office look good or bad," Lowe said Friday night after dropping a 2-1 decision to the Astros.

No kidding? Lowe, signed as a free agent by DePodesta in the offseason, is 8-13 and tied for third for most losses in the National League.

Lowe said one of the funniest things I've heard this season, though the humor likely was unintentional.

After Houston's Andy Pettitte limited the Dodgers to one run and six hits in the series opener, Lowe noted that Roy Oswalt and Roger Clemens - also ranked among the NL's top five in ERA this season - would be pitching the next two nights.

"I know our guys are excited about facing 'em," Lowe said.

Excited? That's like saying somebody is looking forward to undergoing root canals on three consecutive days.

Dodgers manager Jim Tracy was more honest as he ended his postgame session with the media.

"Need to go home," Tracy said. "Need to go home."

Silver lining: The Dodgers should be thankful they play in the NL Worst, where they trailed the Padres by only 61/2 games after Friday's loss. If they played in any other division, their deficits would have been 15 (NL East), 231/2 (NL Central), 16 (AL West), 17 (AL East) and 231/2 (AL Central).

Parting shot: From Bob Ryan of the Boston Globe: "Randy Moss smokes a little pot? Next thing you'll tell me is that John Daly likes cheeseburgers."

Copyright 2005 The Orange County Register | Privacy policy | User agreement
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA

Dodgers

Poor Dumb Bradley

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

More troubles for Bradley
    Redondo Beach police responded to three domestic-violence calls at his home this summer.

By BILL PLUNKETT

CHICAGO – On the field this season, Milton Bradley seemed to have his anger-management issues under control.

It was apparently a different story off the field. Redondo Beach police responded to domestic-violence calls at the home of Bradley and his pregnant wife on three occasions this summer. No charges were filed or arrests made after the incidents, which occurred June 28, July 11 and July 30.

The latest revelations, coming on the heels of his public spat with Jeff Kent and private meeting with management, seem to seal Bradley's fate with the Dodgers. The organization that stood by him through a series of incidents involving umpires, fans and the media last season as well as a three-day jail stay in Ohio during the winter seems to be distancing itself from Bradley.

"I think we've already made it clear that Milton has a lot of health issues that he's dealing with and that we expect him to deal with those if he's going to be back," Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said. "I don't think that changes after today."

DePodesta said he would not make a "definitive statement" about whether Bradley would be offered a contract to return to the Dodgers.

"You never know what might happen," DePodesta said. "But he has to work through all those issues ... for that to be possible."

DePodesta said the Dodgers were "absolutely not" aware of Bradley being involved with the police this summer.

"We were aware that Milton was not entirely happy at different points away from the field - as we are aware of that with some of our other players," DePodesta said. "But at no point were we aware of any actual incident or any actual issue whatsoever."

Bradley was married in February and said recently that he and his wife are expecting a son in December.

According to police reports, officers were summoned to Bradley's Redondo Beach home the first time in response to a 911 call, the second time after Bradley's wife ran to a neighbor's home to call police and the third time after Bradley called police.

In the July 11 incident, Bradley's wife had a bloody lip and said he had used his forearm to pin her against the wall, choking her in the process. Bradley was not present when police responded. The report indicated police counseled the couple on "relationship issues" and sent a file to the prosecutor's office. The prosecutor declined to file charges.

"The events written about are very regrettable," Bradley said in a statement released by the Dodgers. "Any problems reported have been exaggerated but nonetheless, my wife and I have resolved all issues. The incidents reported will remain private and personal.

"While I continue to work on my off-the-field issues, my energy is also directed towards preparing for season-ending knee surgery and a lengthy rehabilitation."

DePodesta said Bradley has decided to have surgery to repair the torn patellar tendon in his left knee (and possible damage to his anterior cruciate ligament) performed by Lakers team physician Steve Lombardo. The date for that surgery is not known.

NOTES

After taking three days off because of soreness in his left wrist, outfielder J.D. Drew resumed hitting off a tee Tuesday with two sets of 20 swings each.

While "there is progress" in Drew's recovery from a fractured left wrist, Dodgers manager Jim Tracy said "I have had no timetable suggested to me to indicate that in 'X' number of days he could be facing live pitching." Drew has been out since July 3. ...

The Dodgers will be setting up booths at Gate A on Elysian Park Ave. from 5 a.m.-6 p.m. today to collect donations to the American Red Cross' Hurricane 2005 Relief Fund. The first 500 people to make a financial donation will receive a pair of tickets to an upcoming Dodgers game.

TODAY

Derek Lowe (8-13, 4.11) opposes the Cubs' Glendon Rusch (5-7, 4.35) at 11:20 a.m. The game will be broadcast on FSN2, KFWB/980 and KWKW/1330 (Spanish).

AA ERA
    Were the Dodgers the team that started so hot this year or do I have a bad memory?
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA

Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    Were the Dodgers the team that started so hot this year or do I have a bad memory?
    No, yer memories good !!!! Everyone was saying they were on pace for a record year and bested the 1955 record for April, in this the 50th Anniversary year. Do you feel bad now? I do, for talking SMAK in their forum.....

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think they went 12-2. Since then they can't seem to get on a roll and pick up ground on the Padres, who are now leading the division by 6 games with tonight's win over the Brewers. LA won 4 of its last 5 and is in 2nd.