Thread: Weaver looking for an extension

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Weaver looking for an extension

Dodgers notes: Weaver talks at an impasse
    By Tony Jackson, Staff Writer

ATLANTA - Dodgers pitcher Jeff Weaver said Wednesday he still hopes to reach an agreement on a new contract with the club and avoid becoming a free agent after the season. He seemed resigned to the idea it probably won't happen.
    "I have made the effort to try to get something going, but it doesn't seem like they're in any rush to get something done at this point and time," said Weaver, who will start tonight against Atlanta. "I'll just continue to try to make some calls and see how they want to approach it. I can say I would definitely like to get something done before the end of the year."

Dodgers general manager Paul DePodesta said two weeks ago that talks with Weaver's agent, Scott Boras, had been ongoing for about a month and would continue. At the time, the issue didn't seem terribly urgent to DePodesta, who pointed out that the Dodgers could still negotiate with Weaver even if he does become a free agent.

DePodesta declined to comment on the matter Wednesday, except to say the sides "continue to be in touch."

The Dodgers acquired Weaver from the New York Yankees in December 2003, bringing the Simi Valley High alum home for what he hoped would be the rest of his career. Weaver is making $9.35 million in his final season of a four-year, $22.1 million deal he received from Detroit. From the Dodgers' perspective, any new deal probably would have to be heavily backloaded, with most of the money in the latter years.

Asked if his current salary might push him to the brink of being too expensive for the Dodgers, Weaver said: "I don't think so at all.

I actually think that's part of the reason they're in no hurry to sign me, because they feel like maybe it won't make much of a difference in (next year's) payroll because of what I'm already making."

New pitch: Erstwhile closer Yhency Brazoban, who was removed from the closer role a week ago after struggling and hasn't appeared in a game since, has been working with pitching coach Jim Colborn to, among other things, add a changeup to his repertoire. Colborn began teaching Brazoban the pitch last fall and continued in spring training, but Brazoban hasn't used it in games until recently, and it still needed tinkering.

"He wasn't in a position to experiment with his pitches pitching (as a closer)," Colborn said. "You just have to use your best pitches. But now it looks like a usable pitch."

Repko out: Outfielder Jason Repko is day-to-day after spraining the middle finger and thumb on his left hand sliding headfirst into home during Tuesday night's ninth-inning rally.

http://www2.dailynews.com/sports/ci_2950926

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't see DePodesta giving Weaver a similar contract to the one Detroit gave him. Even in a pitcher's ballpark, Weaver hasn't pitched like an ace that many people thought he would. DePodesta should stay away from Boras after he handed out pricey new deals to Odalis, Lowe, and Drew.

AA ERA
    Holy cow he is overpaid.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle