Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Strikes, motherfucker, strikes! Throw them! (2011 LAD GDT)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Strikes, motherfucker, strikes! Throw them! (2011 LAD GDT)

I don't think I've ever given less of a shit about a blowout win than today's. With a few exceptions, the roster still looks like ass.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 09-17-2011 at 02:36 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    If Ethier bitches and moans, the next thing you'll tell me is that they should trade him and get what they can for him because they can't make him stay, or some such contradiction to your notion that it's not up to Ethier where he plays.
    There will be no contradiction from me because the fact remains it is not up to Ethier to where he plays. He can cry all goddamn day long, it's still not his call and he will only be making himself look bad. Ethier is a FA after next season so the Dodgers will just sit back and collect the draft picks when he leaves.

MLB ERA

I'll give you Cahill and a box of sunflower seeds for Loney.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    There will be no contradiction from me because the fact remains it is not up to Ethier to where he plays. He can cry all goddamn day long, it's still not his call and he will only be making himself look bad. Ethier is a FA after next season so the Dodgers will just sit back and collect the draft picks when he leaves.
    Compensatory draft picks are overrated, unless it's for losing a Type A middle reliever or a middling starter coming off a career best year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What exactly is the difference?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I said compensation draft picks are overrated, not top five overall draft picks.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You're obviously not looking hard at the Rays farm system. There is no difference in compensatory draft picks between position players and middle relievers.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What the hell are you talking about? You tried to tie the success of the Rays to the draft picks they have been compensated for losing players to free agency, yet none of the players on their roster were selected with such picks by the Rays.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rays have been racking up the past two drafts which is going to keep them competitive for many seasons. What the hell are you talking about trying to say there is a difference in picks for position players and middle relievers?? Dodgers better start valuing all the draft picks they can since they will be in rebuilding mode very shortly or at least they should be.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Rays have been racking up the past two drafts which is going to keep them competitive for many seasons.
    Or level off because those extra late-first round draft picks aren't likely to net them the core players that their past top five picks have.

What the hell are you talking about trying to say there is a difference in picks for position players and middle relievers??
    I don't know how you got the idea that I was saying there is difference in picks for position players and middle relievers. My point was there is an obvious difference between losing a position player like Andre Ethier and losing a middle reliever like Octavio Dotel. A Type-A pick doesn't go as far to replace Ethier as it would to replace Dotel.

Dodgers better start valuing all the draft picks they can since they will be in rebuilding mode very shortly or at least they should be.
    If I'm the Dodgers and I let Ethier or Kemp walk for just draft picks, I got hosed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Or level off because those extra late-first round draft picks aren't likely to net them the core players that their past top five picks have.

I don't know how you got the idea that I was saying there is difference in picks for position players and middle relievers. My point was there is an obvious difference between losing a position player like Andre Ethier and losing a middle reliever like Octavio Dotel. A Type-A pick doesn't go as far to replace Ethier as it would to replace Dotel.

If I'm the Dodgers and I let Ethier or Kemp walk for just draft picks, I got hosed.
    1. I highly doubt the Rays are leveling off anytime soon when they keep restocking every year. Besides, the more draft picks the better the odds of finding MLB talent. Draft picks are valued more and more these days and not just by small market teams.
    2. I got the idea because you didn't explain yourself
    3. Draft picks for Ethier was the worst case scenario. I never said the Dodgers wouldn't trade him. Just threw out your terrible notion that somehow Ethier dictates where he plays.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

The Rays can whiff on all their 1st round compensation picks and your stance would still be that the Rays are doing a good job restocking if they happen to find a gem in the 10th round. The draft has never been anything but a crapshoot, and we'd be gambling that two draft picks will be enough to replace Ethier's production.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yes, that would be my stance because it's accurate. Of course the draft is a crapshoot but the more picks, the better the odds. I don't see why that is a hard concept for you. And the odds the Rays whiffed are very low because they are a well run organization. Again, no one said Ethier couldn't be traded. Focus!

MLB ERA

You both make valid arguments, but I have to agree with Mofo's point here.

Yeah, extra picks are always a good thing but the value isn't as high when it's compensation for the loss of Andre Ethier than it is for a type A middle reliever.

that being said, it's certainly better than losing Ethier for nothing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Looked like Broxton was in there tonight BROXTON!!!!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast