Thread: How was he still available?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Dodgers How was he still available?

Dodgers signed LHP Ron Mahay to a minor league contract.
    The deal is worth $900,000 if Mahay makes the big league roster and it also carries an invitation to spring training. As long as everything goes smoothly next month in Arizona and Mahay manages to stay healthy, he should be a member of the Dodgers' Opening Day bullpen. The 39-year-old held left-handed hitters to a .219/.239/.281 batting line in 2010.
    I know Mahay was hurt last year and is up there in age but he can still pitch and is a good reliever. I can't believe he was still available this late in the offseason and that he signed a minor league deal. Nice steal for the Dodgers.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: How was he still available?

This is definitely surprising. As you mention, he does have some things going against him, and his inning load would be pretty light, but you would think he could get a decent guaranteed deal for a team who just wants him to come in for that batter or two and mow down the lefties. Really nice signing for the Dodgers.

Twins fans, did you guys notice any red flags over the last few months he pitched? All of his stats looked good, just curious....

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: How was he still available?

His season was cut short when he tore his rotator cuff, but it was his non-throwing shoulder. And since it's a non-guaranteed deal, it's a no-risk play.

Rookie ERA
    I like this deal. Too bad my cubs couldn't have gave him a shot.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941