Thread: Ramon Troncoso

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dodgers

However, there may be another reason they were willing to part with Saito - Ramon Troncoso. He doesn’t have the prospect pedigree of Broxton or Kuo or the shiny 2008 ERA of Wade, and if didn’t follow the Dodgers closely last year, there’s a good chance you may have never heard of Troncoso. However, if I was going to pick one guy who had a chance to emerge as the Next Big Thing from obscurity, I’d go with Troncoso - he’s the hidden gem of young hurlers right now.

Troncoso’s big weapon is a heavy power sinker, and it’s one of the best in the game. The average velocity on his fastball was 92.8 MPH last year, which is outstanding velocity for a sinkerball pitcher. 17 major league pitchers sported a GB% of 60% or higher last year, and only Troncoso, Fausto Carmona, and Brandon League had an average fastball velocity of 92.0 MPH or higher.

No matter where he ends up, Troncoso has shown all the skills necessary to be a terrific major league pitcher. Just on the strength of his sinker, he’s going to be a nightmare for right-handed hitters, and his slider and curve have made enough progress that he’s a legitimate option as a potential relief ace or a starting pitcher. For whatever reason, the world hasn’t jumped on the Ramon Troncoso bandwagon yet, but I’d imagine that will change twelve months from now.
    Hidden Gem: Ramon Troncoso | FanGraphs Baseball

The optimist in me doesn't see the potential. But heck, if Chan Ho Park can have some success, why not give Ramon more relief appearances next year.

Baseball Prospectus puts Troncoso's groundball to flyball ratio at the maximum, which is the same level as Derek Lowe's and Chad Bradford's. Hot damn, Troncoso may turn out to be better than Steve Schmoll because unlike Schmoll, he actually has an "out" pitch.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Ramon Troncoso

Good call by the author, despite Tron's peripherals were worse this year than last, ironically.

Yes, I'm f---ing bored.