Thread: Dodgers reportedly signed Orlando Hudson

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Free Agent Dodgers reportedly signed Orlando Hudson

Not yet official, but if true... the Dodgers' defensive up the middle is going to be such an asset to their staff.

Per Rotoworld:
    MLB.com reports that Orlando Hudson's deal with the Dodgers is worth a guaranteed $3.4 million and includes $4.6 million in incentives.
    Hudson would get $8 million if he puts in a full season, which isn't bad at all. The Dodgers have yet to confirm that the deal is done.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Dodgers reportedly signed Orlando Hudson

This should have been done a couple of weeks ago along with signing Adam Dunn or Bobby Abreu. Colletti should have moved on after Manny rejected a third offer from the Dodgers. Mission's right, the double play combo for the Dodgers is a nasty one but it also one that consists of two players missing significant time. Good thing they have DeWitt on the bench. I like the move but it is going to hurt the Dodgers giving the Dbacks the #27 pick in the draft.

MLB ERA

Its actually the #17 draft pick, the first one not protected
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That Hudson was available this late in the offseason proves that Ned jumped the gun badly on re-signing Casey Blake, but we had no way of knowing that Hudson would remain unsigned.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Not yet official, but if true... the Dodgers' defensive up the middle is going to be such an asset to their staff.
    They already had great defense at second base when Blake Dewitt moved over from third base and replaced Jeff Kent. Dewitt's glove work would be best utilized at third base, but The Beard isn't going to be benched anytime soon.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A lot of the speculation is that DeWitt will be sent to the minors as a result, do you think that'll happen mofo?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If Tony Abreu holds up throughout spring training, he'll be the backup 3b. DeWitt will be sent down to work on his hitting since he has potential and Abreu doesn't.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lets not forget about Mark Loretta.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Loretta is the backup 2b. He hasn't played much 3b in the last few years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is but he is viewed as the utility man for the infield. 17 games last year at third, 5 at SS and even 2 at first. He can play anywhere on the infield but its his bat that will keep in the lineup when needed.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He can play anywhere in the infield, but I don't view him as a first option for defensive substitutions at third base and shortstop. His job is to pick up where Mark Sweeney failed as a pinch hitter.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dodgers Re: Dodgers reportedly signed Orlando Hudson

Hudson rehabbed tenaciously back home in South Carolina, but when he was able to resume baseball activities, he discovered real limitations. He started batting right-handed in December, but lacked the top-hand strength to hit left-handed until January.

Admittedly, his left-handed swing currently lacks the aggression of his right-handed swing, although he showed improvement Tuesday against his former Diamondbacks teammates with a hit-and-run single and a sharp liner to center. This spring, Hudson is 3-for-16 with four strikeouts and no extra-base hits.

"Left-handed, it's still a little trying, but it's coming," Hudson said.

Hudson reports full range of motion when he bends the wrist downward and side to side. But he has trouble bending his wrist upward and it is not expected to improve with time. Try catching a baseball with a glove on a hand that can't bend up. Hudson taught himself how, by cushioning the impact of the throw by allowing his entire left arm to "give" when the ball reaches the glove.

"I may not get any more range of motion than what it is now, but I can play," Hudson said. "I've figured out what I can do and what I can't, and I've compensated for what I can't do. I can't catch normally or it's so painful I can't play. But God has helped me work it out."
    So, his wrist may never be the same again. Just ****ing perfect.
    Better hold off on the Blake Dewitt for Ian Kennedy blockbuster.