Thread: Dodgers' league leading ERA: A Mirage

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Article Dodgers' league leading ERA: A Mirage

Baseball’s trading deadline has a lot in common with Las Vegas.

It’s OK to take a small bite of each experience. But going overboard can be dangerous.

Diamondbacks’ fans no doubt were disappointed when general manager Josh Byrnes didn’t pull off a deal before Thursday’s 1 p.m. deadline.

So many tantalizing names were out there – Jason Bay, Raul Ibanez, Adam Dunn, etc. — that doing nothing is viewed as going backward.

But that’s not the case with Arizona.

I know what you’re thinking.

Scott, weren’t you encouraging general manager Josh Byrnes to trade for another hitter just two weeks ago?

Yes, that was me.

But circumstances have changed.

For one thing, the Diamondbacks’ offense has awakened after a two-month slumber. Arizona has at least 10 hits in 12 of its last 16 games.

Also, after seeing Alex Romero for a couple of weeks – that over-the-shoulder, back-to-the-field catch against San Diego was the greatest grab I’ve ever seen – I’m convinced he and Justin Upton will be a nice platoon in right field.

Finally, I’m not persuaded that the Los Angeles Dodgers are good enough to overtake the Diamondbacks, even with the last-minute addition of Manny Ramirez.

Obviously, Ramirez and third baseman Casey Blake will fortify the Dodgers’ lineup. Among National League teams, Los Angeles ranked 13th in runs scored and 15th in home runs before Thursday’s games.

But I’m betting Ramirez won’t put up the same numbers he did in Boston for two reasons:

1. The Red Sox lineup afforded him much more protection. National League pitchers won’t be afraid to pitch around Ramirez because the rest of the Dodgers’ lineup is underwhelming.

2. Dodger Stadium is a pitcher-friendly park; many of those balls Ramirez hit off the Green Monster in Fenway Park will be long outs in L.A.

One other thing to consider about the Dodgers: Their pitching staff — which ranks first in the NL with a 3.68 ERA — is a mirage.

L.A. isn’t going to win the division as long as guys like Jason Johnson and Hiroki Kuroda are taking the ball every fifth day. Ace Brad Penny is supposed to come off the disabled list soon, but there’s no guarantee he’ll be healthy.

Either way, I think the Diamondbacks’ pitching will trump the Dodgers’ offensive upgrades. Arizona still has the best starting rotation in the division and the addition of Jon Rauch has given manager Bob Melvin a reliable set-up man and lessened the workload for relievers Tony Pena and Chad Qualls, who were run into the ground the first half of the season.

Don’t be surprised if, in particular, a more rested Qualls is as effective the last two months as he was in April.

Clearly, L.A.’s acquisition of Ramirez makes the NL West race more interesting, if only because Manny is Manny. Who knows what will happen when Ramirez gets a taste of Hollywood. He could retire to join the cast of The Real World.

But when late September arrives, the Diamondbacks will be right where they are now:

Looking down on the Dodgers.
    Bordow: Despite Dodgers’ moves, D-Backs still class of NL West | Voices | eastvalleytribune.com

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Dodgers' league leading ERA: A Mirage

This Zonie asshole can go **** himself. If our pitching is a "mirage" how come the Dbacks' totally superior awesome pitching doesn't have a better ERA, even though Kuroda is supposedly lighting ours up? The park factor doesn't mean shit considering that it fluctuates every year: Dodger Stadium has been ranked in the top half as well as the very bottom in the runs factor category.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You still not a fan of Billingsley? That kid has some filthy stuff.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Kuroda's strong 7 innings against the Diamondbacks was another mirage. A mirage!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    L.A. isn’t going to win the division as long as guys like Jason Johnson and Hiroki Kuroda are taking the ball every fifth day.
    They can win if Jason Johnson and Hiroki Kuroda get matched up against Doug Davis and Yusmeiro Petit every time.

L.A. isn’t going to win the division as long as guys like Jason Johnson and Hiroki Kuroda are taking the ball every fifth day.
    Jason Johnson started just two games and in one of them he helped beat the Diamondbacks. Kuroda has more NLCS wins than Brandon Webb does. Suck on that.