LA is missin’ Clay
Rob Bradford By Rob Bradford
Tuesday, September 4, 2007 - Added 12h ago

When Logan White heard a young Red Sox [team stats] pitcher was throwing a no-hitter Saturday night, he couldn’t help but think what might have been for his team.

“It was bittersweet,” said White, the Los Angeles Dodgers director of scouting. “I’m extremely happy for Clay Buchholz, but I’m not happy for the Dodgers, that’s for sure.”

White nearly kept Buchholz away from the Red Sox. He pushed hard to get the Dodgers to take the right-hander with the 40th pick in the 2005 amateur draft, especially after he noticed Sox scout Mark Wasinger watching one of Buchholz’ games at Angelina Junior College in Lufkin, Texas, about four hours south of Houston.

“That obviously was upsetting for me to see him there,” White said of Wasinger. “I was hoping we would be getting the chance to get him.”

They still had a chance, but when the draft came around, some in the Dodgers draft room felt Buchholz would be better suited for the team’s next pick, No. 51. White was among those who realized Buchholz probably wasn’t going to get past the Red Sox at No. 42.

The Dodgers ultimately used the 40th pick to get pitcher Luke Hochevar, who never signed with Los Angeles and became the first overall pick of the 2006 draft, going to Kansas City. After Atlanta selected pitcher Beau Jones at No. 41, the Red Sox swept in and took Buchholz.

“I would say we were one of Boston’s main competitors,” White said, “but that’s kind of like being close to winning the championship, and you don’t get it.

“In a way, even though I didn’t get him, I was ecstatic (about the no-hitter) because it proved I was right on the kid. . . . I don’t think it was a lack of effort on our part. I think we evaluated him right. I’m just happy for (Sox scouting director) Jason (McLeod) and Clay.”

Of course, Logan White could have been saying that he wanted Clay Buchholz all along just because hindsight is 20/20. White had been quoted after that year's draft in saying that he "was prepared to take Beau Jones." But if White wasn't lying about Clay being his first choice, the question is which idiot overruled him and selected Hochevar instead?