Thread: So we took this Withrow dude..

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dodgers So we took this Withrow dude..

Not shocking that Logan White would yet again draft another high school pitcher with a 1st round pick. Withrow isn't Porcello, but they want to avoid a repeat of the Luke Hochevar ransom.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: So we took this Withrow dude..

Yeah, for some reason I thought Los Angeles (with their market size and all) would of been a darkhorse for Porcello... but then I remembered Hochevar (and thus Boras). You guys have a pretty good track record with your pitchers, much better than the Reds at least with young talent, and Withrow does have it, but obviously it's a question mark with anyone that young.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Considering the Dodgers' starting rotation have been made up of mercenaries ever since the Rupert Murdoch ownership and Kuo is the only current homegrown starter, they would probably be satisfied if Withrow makes it as a major league reliever like Billingsley.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I guess I really didn't clarify that too well. I also assumed though that Billingsley still had a future as a big time starter with you guys, what went wrong with him? I really haven't followed the Dodgers much and I used to get my Billingsley update from a friend at school who went to high school and played with him when he was a senior I think.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Billingsley still has a future with L.A. They put him in the bullpen for the first half of the season in the hopes that he would straighten out his control, and it looks like he has done just that. He threw 50+ more innings with just six more walks than his previous year's total.

Time will tell if Withrow will be the next Billingsley or the next Chuck Tiffany, but any compensation for Julio Lugo is gravy.