Thread: This team is just pathetic

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dodgers This team is just pathetic

I understand that Brandon Webb is on the mound, but it seems to be asking too much to put up some sort of a fight. It's frustrating that a team of veteran ballplayers earning 7-figure sums are letting a bunch of kids and Tony Clark embarass them at home.

Whatever happened to all of those talented prospects from the supposedly deep farm system?

Re: This team is just pathetic

The team was in first place just 5 hours ago, and is now just a half game out.

They lost to the reigning cy young winner while our 4th starter was on the mound.

I honestly dont see how you can say this team is pathetic after they just won a series vs the reigning division champs...nor do I see how you can say they have no fight when they rallied against perhaps the best closer ever. They just won a 17 inning marathon with one of the best bullpen performances of all time. 10.2 innings and 1 hit...there aren't too many can beat that one.

Not to mention, they lost to the team that you picked to win the division in this very forum

It's one game. Sometimes they gotta take their lumps and move on to the next game.

Are you drunk?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Sure, they rallied against perhaps the greatest closer of all time, but they were also shut out by Armando *bleeping* Benitez, who is perhaps one step above Jose Mesa as a shut down closer. And the fact that the Padres are the defending division champions is irrelevant to this season. The Dodgers got their asses handed to them by the current division leader, which I did predict to be the Diamondbacks, and it appears that I'll be right when this season ends.

You strike me as a "the glass is half empty" type of guy

I had a feeling you would bring up the Armando Benitez thing... But lets face it, the Giants were red hot coming into that series. Benitez isn't the best closer in the league, but he's hardly the worst. In his last healthy season he was dominant...and he's still young enough to say that he has some good years left in him if he can stay healthy, and he appears to be healthy at the moment and he's looked pretty good so far this season. You cant expect every closer to blow every save opportunity he gets vs. the Dodgers...thats not realistic. Closers are expected to close out the games. Even the worst closer in the league will probably have a lot more saves than blown saves. Blown saves are a rarity

I dont see how you can say the team has no fight when they've already forced 2 blown saves in 8 chances on their opponents this year. If the Dodgers go the entire year forcing 9th inning blown saves 25% of the time, then I'd say that would be pretty darn good.

To say the team is "just pathetic" after one specific loss is even more mind boggling. Last week, the Red Sox (the team with the best record in baseball) lost to Tomo Ohka and couldnt rally against "Jason Bleeping Frasor"...but I doubt many level headed people were saying the Red Sox are pathetic.

This was a game we were supposed to lose. Not many people would have bet on the Dodgers to win that one with a matchup like Webb vs. Randy Wolf.

YES, the dodgers got their asses handed to them by the Diamondbacks last night. One game. Big freaking deal. We swept them on the road earlier in the season (albeit a 2 game series but a sweep nonetheless). You arent looking at the big picture. We're 2-1 vs your favorite to win the division, and we've lost ONE series in the past 3 and a half weeks

I'd hardly say its time to throw up the white flag and admit the Diamondbacks are going to win the division as it appears you have done....especially when we're a HALF GAME OUT in APRIL. That just makes no sense

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fetters View Post
    You cant expect every closer to blow every save opportunity he gets vs. the Dodgers...thats not realistic.
    Of course not. How could I forget? We're the Dodgers!

I dont see how you can say the team has no fight when they've already forced 2 blown saves in 8 chances on their opponents this year. If the Dodgers go the entire year forcing 9th inning blown saves 25% of the time, then I'd say that would be pretty darn good.
    That also means we're going to lose 75% or more of those games. We're not exactly rally monkeys.

To say the team is "just pathetic" after one specific loss is even more mind boggling. Last week, the Red Sox (the team with the best record in baseball) lost to Tomo Ohka and couldnt rally against "Jason Bleeping Frasor"...but I doubt many level headed people were saying the Red Sox are pathetic.
    They may not be level headed but I don't doubt that there were fans with the East Coast mentality calling for some guy's head during a postgame radio show.

This was a game we were supposed to lose. Not many people would have bet on the Dodgers to win that one with a matchup like Webb vs. Randy Wolf.
    After several years of, despite the 100 million dollar payrolls, coming up short of the playoffs, and losing to the Cardinals and the Mets in the first round of playoffs, I have to ask when are the Dodgers supposed to win? When are they going to get more Brandon Webbs instead of more Jason Schmidts?

YES, the dodgers got their asses handed to them by the Diamondbacks last night. One game. Big freaking deal. We swept them on the road earlier in the season (albeit a 2 game series but a sweep nonetheless). You arent looking at the big picture. We're 2-1 vs your favorite to win the division, and we've lost ONE series in the past 3 and a half weeks

I'd hardly say its time to throw up the white flag and admit the Diamondbacks are going to win the division as it appears you have done....especially when we're a HALF GAME OUT in APRIL. That just makes no sense
    Fair enough, we shall find out when they will do against the Dbacks in the next two games. That 2-1 record can go either way.

well well well

The dodgers have beaten the Diamondbacks 4 out of 5 games so far this year.

Not too shabby of a start for a pathetic team

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hey, I'd love to be wrong about my opinion of this team. They still have a losing record vs. Brandon Webb, but on the flip side if the Dbacks can't beat Mark Hendrickson, I'll take it.