Thread: Tomko wins the 5th starter spot

Tomko wins the 5th starter spot

According to dodgers.com Brett Tomko has been selected to be the teams 5th starter. He'll start the season in the bullpen due to an offday that allows the team to skip the 5th spot, and likely make his first start during the second round through the rotation.

I've seen this coming ever since Billingsley was sent to the bullpen. Billingsley had the best spring (1 ER allowed and 0 ER allowed at the time he was sent to the pen) and best second half last year (7-2 3.15 ERA) of the other 5th starter contenders, but the team wanted him to work on pitch efficiency and he'll likely be a starter in 2008. Kuo was effectively wild in the spring before his injury. Even before his injury..I think his low K, high BB rates and bad pitch efficiency was a red flag for management and he wasn't a real consideration recently. Obviously, his injury makes it an easier decision.

Tomko and Hendrickson had similar springs, and for the past week or so had been the two clear frontrunners. Both guys ERA bloated to over 5 due to one bad outing for each. Aside from the bad outings they would have stellar ERA's. I think Tomko won the job over Hendrickson for a few reasons:
    1) Tomko was our best starter in the beginning of last year until his oblique injury. He was 5-1 with a 2.83 ERA after the first 8 starts...so management has seen some very good starts from him. On the flip side, Hendrickson's good starts were few and far between..and if I remember correctly he was 0-7 at one point last year as a starter for us I think that left a bitter taste in everyones mouth, to say the least

2) Tomko came in with a reformed delivery. He worked hard in the offseason and shortened his delivery which really impressed everyone during the first few workouts. He instantly went from a longshot to a viable contender

3) Tomko had more conviction. I just got the sense reading articles and interviews that Tomko was 100% determined to win the job, while Hendrickson wanted it but had already almost accepted his fate it seemed. Plus, as I mentioned earlier Tomko worked extremely hard in the offseason...and Hendrickson was almost non-tendered.

It also appears as if Rudy Seanez has pitched his way into the final bullpen spot after an outstanding spring. Right now it leaves Dessens and his 1.3 M guaranteed salary as the odd-man out...but I expect a trade before the start of the season that sends either Dessens or Hendrickson to another team. Dessens is easier to trade because he makes less than half of what Hendrickson makes...but it all comes down to what teams are looking for. If a team is in need of a starter that happens to be left handed then Hendrickson could easily go...or if someones looking for a reliable swingman, then Dessens is the man.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They are better off leaving Hendrickson as the situational lefty. Hendrickson is simply not cut out to be an effective starting pitcher. Given his checkered past performances, Tomko isn't going to hold on to a spot in the rotation for the whole season but he will have to do for now.

I hate the thought of having situational lefties. I hate watching 3 pitching changes in one inning just so a situational lefty can get the middle batter out. It's annoying, and one of the reasons why I can't stand Tony LaRussa

Aside from that, I dont think Hendrickson would be a good situational lefty. He's not much better at getting lefties out than righties. I'm not sure whether I'd rather have Dessens or Hendrickson make the roster. There are pro's and con's to both. Personally I think the team looks better on paper with Tsao in the final bullpen spot...but I also realize that would require releasing and/or trading both of these guys which would diminish the depth and is not smart for the long haul....and also not likely because of the guaranteed money.

Ultimately I think the final decision can go either way...and whichever way it goes I'll probably be fine with. after all...its essentially the 25th roster spot I've been rambling about for so long...and I dont really think its going to make or break the season

MLB ERA
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fetters
    Aside from that, I dont think Hendrickson would be a good situational lefty. He's not much better at getting lefties out than righties.
    Then I could care less whether Hendrickson should occupy his 1/3 of an inning against righties or lefties. The less he pitches the better.

Dessens was just shipped to the Brewers for outfielder Brady Clark. This could mean Bigbie is gone also

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Tomko wins the 5th starter spot

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Karma's a b-i-t-c-h, wouldn't you say?

MLB ERA

Re: Tomko wins the 5th starter spot

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Karma's a b-i-t-c-h, wouldn't you say?
    sure enough
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles