Schmidt, Gonzalez, Lieberthal among Dodgers' `old-school guys'

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
December 13, 2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A trio of 30-something "old-school guys" -- Jason Schmidt, Luis Gonzalez and Mike Lieberthal -- donned their new Los Angeles Dodgers' jerseys Wednesday as part of a roster overhaul that management hopes will push the team deeper into the playoffs.

"This is another step the organization is taking to fulfill its promise to the fans to win and win now," owner Frank McCourt said.

Schmidt's deal is worth $47 million for three years, Gonzalez will get $7.35 million for one year, and the 34-year-old Lieberthal signed a one-year deal to back up catcher Russell Martin.

"I know a lot of the hitters in the league. I can help him from that respect," said Lieberthal, who left the Philadelphia Phillies after 13 seasons. "It's probably tougher to play every day than it used to be. I had a few injuries last season. I feel great now."

The 33-year-old Schmidt spent the last 5 1/2 seasons with the San Francisco Giants, going 11-9 with a 3.59 ERA in 32 starts during 2006. He knows the fans will have something to say when the Dodgers and Giants play next season.

"I hope there wasn't too much hate along the way," he said. "I apologize for all that."

The 39-year-old Gonzalez batted .271 with 15 homers and 73 RBIs for Arizona last season, the ninth time in the past 10 years that he has appeared in 145 games or more. The five-time All-Star committed only one error in 150 games in left field.

"It's good to have a couple of old-school guys around, and I'm one of them," he said. "Tommy (Lasorda) didn't even have to give me the speech. I'm very excited to be bleeding Dodger blue."

Gonzalez said he harbors no bitterness toward the Diamondbacks.

"It was a good opportunity for us to part ways," he said. "There's no greater satisfaction for an athlete to go to a team in the same division and win a title. The payback for me will be winning."

For Lieberthal, the move is a homecoming. He was born in suburban Glendale and went to Westlake Village High. His family had season tickets to the Dodgers in the 1980s, when his favorite player was Dodger catcher Steve Yeager.

"The Phillies were like family to me," he said. "It's different, even when you're coming home."

Like Lieberthal, Schmidt grew up in a household of Dodgers fans. He played for current Dodgers manager Grady Little at Triple-A Richmond in 1995, after making his major league debut at Dodger Stadium that season.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti was an assistant GM with the Giants when Schmidt was with Los Angeles' biggest rival.

"It's nice to come to an organization where you know a couple people," Schmidt said. "This organization is definitely committed to winning. It's a great place to pitch and the fans are unbelievable."

Schmidt said he'll be aggressive in pitching to former teammate Barry Bonds.

"I'm going to go after him," he said. "Competitive nature takes over."
Link

I'm liking the Schmidt signing very much so. He can go from one of my most disliked players to possibly the most revered one. Hopefully, he doesn't pitch his way back to the former.