Thread: Dodgers close to getting Hendrickson and Hall

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Dodgers Dodgers close to getting Hendrickson and Hall

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3984158

Following Monday night's game, an 8-2 loss to the Minnesota Twins in front of 22,528 at the Metrodome, the Dodgers appeared close to acquiring Tampa Bay left-hander Mark Hendrickson. The deal also is believed to involve a swap of catchers, with Dioner Navarro going to the Devil Rays for Toby Hall.

Hendrickson, who turned 32 on Friday, last pitched on Sunday against Atlanta, taking a hard-luck loss.

Hall didn't play Monday night at Florida. Backup Josh Paul made his second consecutive start for the Devil Rays behind the plate, something a source close to the club called "highly unusual."

There was one report that both Hendrickson and Hall were told before the Devil Rays' game that they had been traded to the Dodgers, but that is unconfirmed.
    I wonder what else the Dodgers would give up? I don't think this move will really help them, but who am I to say?

Toby Hall is one of the best defensive catchers in the league. While he never panned out as a hitter, his defensive abilities make him a quality starter/platoon player. Hendrickson is the oddity. He has a career ERA of 5.00, and is 32 years old. This is really his first good season in the majors. Moving to a pitcher's haven should help him, but can we really expect for Hendrickson to keep this pace up?

Navarro is a nice option to pick up for Tampa, though. Los Angeles had two catchers of the future, and its apparent they like the guy whose been brought up through the beginnings of the farm system better. Navarro is now the Devil Rays catcher of the future, and they are hopeful he pans out.

MLB ERA
    No clue why the Dodgers would do this. Giving up a great defensive catcher who is young for a great defensive catcher who is old, when they have Russell Martin manning the position for the next 10+ years.

Even Hendrickson isn't all that much of a player to obtain, but I suppose he at least justifies it - they have an awful back-end of the rotation, and Navarro is unneeded.

Still weird.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Colletti's deal with the Devil Rays for Danys Baez and Lance Carter has not panned out. Colletti makes another trade with the Devil Rays and again sacrifices the future for the present. Navarro has much more upside than Toby Hall and Hall is free agent at the end of the season. Hendrickson provides an option at starting pitching but the Dodgers' recent track record of midseason acquisitions of middling pitchers has been underwhelming. Among those pitchers include James Baldwin, Terry Mulholland, and Mike Trombley.

MLB ERA
    Hendrickson's contract is up at the end of the season, too. I even read that they may consider bringing Weaver back since the Angels want to dump him...as soon as they signed him I said that he wouldn't deliver for them, but I had no idea he'd suck as bad as he has.

MLB ERA
    It's official.

Mark Hendrickson and Toby Hall and $1,000,000

for

Dionar Navarro and Jae Seo Wong and PTBNL

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Since when do the Dodgers receive cash in a trade?

Seo was statistically counterproductive.

MLB ERA
    There's no way Hendrickson's luck continues on.

LA seems to have been ripped off here.

MLB ERA
    He could do well in the NL West and especially considering that Dodgers Stadium is a pitcher's park...but like I said, I don't think this will put them over the top.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I can't find anything wrong with this trade honestly. Hendrickson helps the rotation out since he held American League hitters to a .241 batting average and would do better in the West. Navarro is not needed at this point so get mad for losing him? Hall will do well as a backup and Seo might surprise some people. I guess the only thing that bothers me is the D Rays giving up their second best pitcher.

MLB ERA
    Hendrickson is a huge fluke. He strikes guys out at a below average rate, walks them at an above average rate. He's succeeding because of his very low BABIP. That the Dodgers traded a young catcher with a future and a pitcher who may have a future for a lucky half-season and a hack like Toby Hall makes for a terrible trade.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Hendrickson is a huge fluke. He strikes guys out at a below average rate, walks them at an above average rate. He's succeeding because of his very low BABIP. That the Dodgers traded a young catcher with a future and a pitcher who may have a future for a lucky half-season and a hack like Toby Hall makes for a terrible trade.
    Ah, did you have to be so brutal with the analysis? Even T.J. Simers is shocked.

While Navarro and Seo have been useless this season, if Colletti's recent trades (acquiring Baez, Carter, and Seo) are any indication, this trade will do a lot more bad than good.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Colletti has done a good job thus far and its hard to say he hasn't. Navarro might have had a future but its clear now it wasn't with the Dodgers! They are stacked at the position and now Hall will back up Martin instead of Alomar. Hendrickson is pitching better than Tomko and Perez so it's an upgrade and he is gone after the season.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufio181
    There's no way Hendrickson's luck continues on.

LA seems to have been ripped off here.
    i'd agree that LA was ripped off, but it's not like they gave up much either.

garbage for garbage, much like San Diego's last deal with Tampa
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000