Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Over For Gagne

MLB ERA

Dodgers Game Over For Gagne

Dodgers closer Eric Gagne will be placed on the 15-day disabled list today after an MRI showed a mild sprain of the medial collateral ligament in his right elbow on Friday.

The 2003 National League Cy Young Award winner becomes the fourth prominent Dodgers player to begin the season on the DL, joining pitchers Wilson Alvarez and Brad Penny and left fielder Jayson Werth.

Gagne spent most of spring training battling a mildly strained medial collateral ligament in his left knee, which he suffered during a routine fielding drill on Feb. 24. He made four Grapefruit League appearances and reported his knee feeling better with each outing. But after his one-inning stint on Thursday against the New York Mets, Gagne reported discomfort in his elbow, where he underwent Tommy John reconstructive surgery eight years ago.

"It's really frustrating because we're so close to the (start of the) season," Gagne said Friday night, after the Dodgers' 8-3 exhibition loss to the Angels. "I wish I had known about this early in spring training. It's just bad timing. I feel like I'm letting down my team."

It isn't clear how long Gagne will be out.

"We're putting him on the DL, so it will be at least two weeks," general manager Paul DePodesta said. "He wanted to play catch (Friday), but our (trainers) told him not to. We'll just have to see how it responds to treatment."

In what already has been a snakebitten spring for the Dodgers, this is by far the biggest blow.

"It's tough," manager Jim Tracy said. "All those guys are integral parts of our ballclub. But I really feel as we begin the season, we have some resources to turn to. Over the first few weeks of the season, we have an opportunity to find out about some of the other guys we have."

The most likely candidate to fill the closer role in Gagne's absence is setup man Yhency Brazoban, who technically is still a rookie but has obvious closer's stuff.

"He's obviously the guy we will look to," Tracy said. "But if during the course of a given game something else makes sense due to a certain hitter or matchup, we'll explore that."

The move will be made retroactive to Friday, meaning the earliest Gagne can possibly return will be April 16. The injury opens another spot on what both DePodesta and manager Jim Tracy say will be a 12-man pitching staff. That probably means the Dodgers will keep both Buddy Carlyle and Ryan Rupe, the final candidates for what was to have been the final spot in the bullpen.

"The important thing is to keep ourselves afloat and hold serve, knowing that these guys aren't months away (from returning)," Tracy said. "They might only be a couple of weeks away."
    http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...794354,00.html

MLB ERA

Dodgers

Ooo man, big blow for you Dodger fans and I mean big!If I was a Dodger fan I would be doing this.

AAA ERA
    yea your right, pretty big blow but at least its only 15 days. not 60

AA ERA
    They will survive. Might provide better health for him after he comes back too.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Who's gonna be the closer in his absence. I'm thinking about fantasy reprecussions.

AA ERA
    I am guessing Yancey Brazoban, ABG.

MLB ERA
    Dumping Mota off to Florida is looking even worse right about now

MLB ERA
    that is a sad break for the Dodgers

Rookie ERA
    Brazoban isn't bad... he's no Gagne of course..

But Brazoban throws devastating heat.

I think Brazoban will pan out better than Mota was a setup guy.. he's probably a future closer type. Not likely to be with the Dodgers as a closer type, unless Gagne has a serious injury or some sort.
    Nobody lookin out for nobody
    Maybe we should try and help somebody or be somebody
    Instead of being somebody that makes the news
    So everybody can tweet about it
    And then they start to R.I.P. about it
    And four weeks later nobody even speaks about it.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Dodgers

What about Duaner as a closer?

GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Son of a....

He was the #1 pick on one of my fanstasy teams. I forgot about the draft and he was auto-picked.

Rookie ERA
    This couldn't be sweeter. Not only do they give away key components of their team last season in LoDuca and Mota along with Beltre and Finley signing with other teams, but now Jason Werth and Eric Gagme on the D.L.? Just beautiful. I hope the Dodgers enjoy being in the cellar along with Colorado this year, and I hope it makes 'em sick to their stomach as we celebrate another division title.

Rookie ERA
    I wouldn't throw up the victory flags just yet. Being a giants fan I of course was happy with the news, but it is only 15 days which will equate to about 13 games, and probably only 7-8 would be appearances he won't be in and if Brazoban converts on 6-7 of them then there won't be any significant difference in their standings as far as the season goes. However, what you are forgetting Emo is that the Padres are our competition this year not the dodgers. The dodgers have been out of the standings since before the season started. We just have to worry about keeping our heads above water until Bonds gets back.

Rookie ERA
    Yeah, Gagne is such a pain in the ass. He got thrown out of last nights game for heckling the home plate umpire...what a jackass...one of the only players ever to get thrown out while on the DL...of course Tony Phillips we won't discuss.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    If you're on the DL and are in the dugout heckling the Ump's there should be a suspension tacked onto the end of the DL stint. That's just wrong in so many ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast