Thread: Finley still looking to rebound

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Finley still looking to rebound

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=ana

All of which has started the whispers about bat speed and more loudly the boos cascading from the decks of Angel Stadium for every runner left on base.

But Finley isn't buying any of it.

"I still think I can come back; I believe it is going to start in my next at-bat," Finley said.
    I dunno, I think he's been a bust and may not break out of it this year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Finley has always been streaky. He was huge last September/October. He can do it again.

MLB ERA
    Of course he can do it, but the question remains: will he?

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Angels

True, Finely has been streaky his whole career but......this is not streaky. This is just plain shut down offensively. As a Finely fan from day one, I hope he will bounce back before he finds himself released like Brett Boone.....It sounds like Scoscia is giving him every chance available but they can't hold out forever.

Knowing baseball fans as I do, they won't allow anyone to get away with it for too long. They have already been booing him and OMG, the Angels MLB.com board is filled with threads about how much he sucks.....I'm for hoping he figures it out. His defense is still one of the best.

GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA

Angels

Finley

Notes: Finley is 'very frustrated'
    08/28/2005 3:30 PM ET
    By Thomas Simonetti / Special to MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG -- After Steve Finley had a difficult game against Tampa Bay on Saturday night, the questions began to pour in.
    The two-time All-Star and four-time Gold Glove Award winner went 0-for-4 against the Devil Rays with two strikeouts and committed the first two-error game of his 17-year career.

It's been more than just one bad game though for the 40-year-old center fielder who was signed in the offseason. Finley's numbers have been down all season.

"This is really the first year of my career that I've struggled all season long," said Finley, who did not start against Rays left-hander Mark Hendrickson on Sunday. "I have confidence in my abilities, but I'm just waiting for that one click."

After hitting .271 and a career-high 36 home runs last season with the Dodgers and Diamondbacks, Finley is at .215 with just nine homers. He has just two home runs in his last 49 games.

He said he developed some bad habits when he strained his right shoulder early in the year. With dwindling playing time, Finley may not have that much time left.

"He's been very frustrated," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We're all frustrated with the year Fin's having, but nobody feels it more than Steve. That's part of the test. Everything doesn't always go well in your career and everything doesn't always go well game to game. This is a tough grind this season and part of this test is being able to find your game and play your game. That's what Steve's searching for.

"Every ballplayer is obviously responsible for their production and that's what gets you playing time. Steve's playing time has been diminished as we look for some combinations against lefties. We sure hope he's going to pick it up and do some of the things we know he can do."

Continued Scioscia: "If you look at this last month, it's tough to focus in on one guy. It hasn't been just Steve. Part of our offensive consistency goes past Steve. We need everybody in the lineup, including Steve, to contribute on a consistent basis."

Erstad rests: Robb Quinlan started in place of Darin Erstad at first base on Sunday.

Erstad "has been playing a lot. Good day to give him a day," Scioscia said.

With Erstad out, Vladimir Guerrero slid up to third in the lineup. Expect Guerrero to move back to cleanup next week.

"There are some things we can look at," said Scioscia, "but I think that the production in this lineup is better when there are three guys hitting in front of Vlad."

On deck: After a day off Monday, the Angels take on American League West counterpart Oakland for a big three-game series with first place on the line. Ace Bartolo Colon (17-6, 3.34 ERA) takes on Barry Zito (12-10, 3.49 ERA) in the opener on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. PT.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    From sportsline:

Newspapers in Southern California say Steve Finley, who is batting .215 with nine home runs and 48 runs batted in and is in the first year of a two-year, $14-million contract, says he has no intention of retiring after this season, and he's convinced age has nothing to do with his struggles.

MLB ERA

Angels

More Finely News

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Finley out of chances, finally out of the lineup
    Scioscia benches the struggling OF, saying 'We have to get production.'

By AL BALDERAS
    The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM – The patience with Steve Finley has run out.

The struggling outfielder was replaced by Chone Figgins in center field Tuesday in a move that likely will remain in place for the final month of the season. Finley was batting .215 with just nine home runs and 48 RBIs.

"We have to get production," Scioscia said. "That's basically it. We expected a lot of production from Steve."

Finley sat stoically in front of his locker after batting practice and conceded he wasn't happy about the move.

"I'm not mad at them," Finley said of the Angels. "They gave me opportunity after opportunity. I'm mad at myself for not getting myself right."

Finley injured his right shoulder while crashing into a wall during the second game of the season. He continued to play, but the injury affected his swing and he finally went on the disabled list in late June. He was activated July 14 but has hit .195 since returning.

"I could have sat myself down earlier in the year," Finley said. "If I did, this wouldn't be a conversation piece right now. As an athlete, you feel you can make any adjustment you need to perform."

Finley said he started to feel better about his swing after coming off the DL, but it was temporary. He's still trying to get to that comfort zone. Though his at-bats will be limited, he hopes to find his way back to the lineup.

"You don't do what I've done the last four or five years and then just drop off the table. I have too much pride to be this mediocre," he said.

Maicer Izturis and Robb Quinlan will share third base.

Scioscia considered moving Darin Erstad to the outfield but decided to keep the Gold Glove winner at first.

BULLPEN LEFTY

The Angels acquired left-handed relief pitcher Jason Christiansen on Tuesday by trading minor-league pitchers Dusty Bergman and Ronnie Ray to the San Francisco Giants.

Christiansen, 35, was 6-1 with a 5.36 ERA in 56 games with the Giants and joins the Angels today. To make room, the Angels sent Joel Peralta to Triple-A Salt Lake.

"He's a guy who was available," Angels general manager Bill Stoneman said. "We felt a pressing need to get a left-handed pitcher."

SURGERY COMPLETED

Dr. Thomas Byrd removed a bone spur from Dallas McPherson's left hip Tuesday and also cleaned the hip joint. The arthroscopic procedure was performed at the Nashville (Tenn.) Sports Medicine Center.

McPherson will be on crutches for 8-10 weeks.

NOTES

Kendry Morales, who plays for the Angels' Double-A team in Arkansas, was selected Texas League Player of the Week after batting .667 (18 for 27) with four home runs, 12 RBIs and 10 runs scored. ...

A's shortstop Bobby Crosby was scratched from the starting lineup before Tuesday's game because of a contusion on his left ankle.

TONIGHT

John Lackey (10-5, 3.59) opposes Oakland's Joe Blanton (8-9, 3.61) at 7:05. The game will be broadcast on FSN, KSPN/710 and KTNQ/1020 (Spanish).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2005 The Orange County Register | Privacy policy | User agreement

MLB ERA
    looks like it worked...oh wait...