Thread: McPherson finally diagnosed

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

McPherson finally diagnosed

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=ana

"I have what they call an impingement in my hip; basically it's a bone spur," the third baseman said. "We're going for a second opinion. The one doctor recommends surgery to go in and shave if off and repair the labrum and the cartilage. We're talking to the doctors about being able to play through it."
    This would be somewhat of a loss if he can't comeback...seems like he's been hurt a lot.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Yeah, saw that.....seems like the Wonder Boy is riddled with ailments. Hope he can get over them. Looks like maybe he can come back next season - ready.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseba...adlines-sports

Doctors at the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Vail, Colo., recommended that McPherson undergo surgery immediately to shave down a bone spur and repair cartilage in the hip, and they told McPherson he could risk further damage by playing this season. Recovery time for the procedure is about three months.

The doctors in Colorado believe McPherson has had the bone spur for several years, and that it may have contributed to the bulging disk McPherson suffered in his lower back in March.

McPherson was hoping to procure an opinion from a doctor who would endorse postponing surgery until after the season, even if McPherson was limited to designated hitter for the rest of 2005.
    Looks like he's done for the year.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Angels

Another DMac story.....
    Saturday, August 27, 2005

McPherson's health not his only concern
    He believes he'll be mended by spring but winning back a starting role could be a bit tougher.

By MARK SAXON
    The Orange County Register

ST. PETERSBURG, FLA. – Dallas McPherson doesn't think he will have much trouble getting in shape by next spring. Doctors assured him arthroscopic surgery to remove a bone spur on his left hip - which he opted for Friday - should make him healthy enough to start working out again in 3-4 months.

The question is whether McPherson has a starting spot waiting for him.

"Of course, I have something to prove because I never proved anything this year," McPherson said. "I'm definitely looking forward to the challenge of going in there healthy and showing what I can do."

McPherson had held out hope of playing through the injury and returning to help the Angels this postseason, but continued pain persuaded him surgery was the only choice. Thomas Byrd, the Tennessee Titans physician, will perform the procedure Tuesday in Nashville, Tenn.

McPherson missed the first two weeks because of a protruding disc in his lower back, then returned and batted .244 with eight home runs and 26 RBIs in 61 games. He went back on the DL on July8 because of inflammation in his left hip and never returned.

Doctors have told him the surgery might alleviate his recurring back problems, because the injuries appear related.

"There's no way of knowing until they go in there," McPherson said.

The club had hoped McPherson would provide power to a lineup that ranks 12th out of 14 teams in the American League in home runs. Instead, McPherson will have to win a job next spring, as he did last spring. He no longer will be eligible for rookie of the year, however.

"He's got a lot of hard work cut out for him," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "But he'll work very, very hard, and I know he'll meet any challenge."
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................