Thread: Anderson giving what he has

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Anderson giving what he has

Notebook: Giving what he has
    12:33 AM PDT on Thursday, August 11, 2005
    By MATT HURST / The Press-Enterprise

OAKLAND - Garret Anderson has been playing on a bad left knee for the past two seasons, and on Wednesday it caused him to miss a game.

Anderson tweaked the knee in Tuesday's victory, when he avoided Chone Figgins on a fly ball in the eighth inning, making the catch in front of the third baseman. This came an inning after he made a sliding catch to take a hit away.

Anderson said it was only coincidence that he wasn't playing against Barry Zito, quipping, "I don't duck lefties. I'll take my four (at-bats) against anybody."

While Anderson is expected to miss just one game, aggravating his knee on a defensive play brought up an interesting perspective. Anderson, as long as he's played, has carried a stigma that he doesn't hustle, especially on defense.

Yet Manager Mike Scioscia doesn't see it that way.

"Garret gives what he has," Scioscia said. "I think he is a good outfielder. There are some plays he hasn't made this year down the line, and that's uncharacteristic for him. But he's playing on those knees. He has a passion for the game. It doesn't manifest like (Darin) Erstad or AK (Adam Kennedy), but he gives what he has."

Which is why you don't hear Anderson complaining about his chronic tendinitis.

"I see a guy who goes out there and gives what he has and doesn't use anything as a crutch," Scioscia said.

Lineup Shuffle Working

Since shuffling the lineup the last weekend in July, the Angels have been scoring more runs and providing more opportunities for Vladimir Guerrero and Anderson.

Through Tuesday's game, Orlando Cabrera, the new No. 2 hitter, had batted .308 in that stretch, with 10 runs scored, eight RBI and six walks. Darin Erstad, the No. 3 hitter, had hit in nine straight and had a .346 average with six runs and four RBI.

Guerrero and Anderson have been clearing the table when it's set. Guerrero was hitting .359 with three home runs and 17 RBI since the lineup change. Anderson was at .275 with two homers and seven RBI.

"That's the manager's decision," Anderson said. "I've always respected what the manager has decided, whether I like it or I don't. I don't have an opinion on this at all. I'm just glad I don't have the job he does. I'd rather play. That other stuff is no fun."

Erstad extended his streak to 10 games Wednesday. But Cabrera went 0 for 5 and Guerrero was also hitless.

Washburn Set for Friday

Jarrod Washburn reported just a little fatigue the day after throwing a bullpen session, normal since he hasn't aired out his arm in two weeks. Scioscia said the left-hander will start on Friday in Seattle.

It will be Washburn's first start since July 24.

"Taking the week off was the right thing to do," said Washburn, who missed two starts with elbow tendinitis.

Ronald Mc-Kielty?

Here's a sign that Oakland wasn't worrying too much after losing to the Angels 9-2 on Tuesday.

A's outfielder Bobby Kielty, already sporting a big, poofy, red-haired hairdo, came onto the McAfee Coliseum field before batting practice dressed as Ronald McDonald.

Jason Kendall had told Kielty, who attended Moreno Valley Canyon Springs and Riverside Community College, that he would buy the suit and Kielty had to wear it. Kielty agreed.

So, when Kielty arrived at the field on Wednesday, it was hanging in his locker. He had some help putting on the face paint from Kendall and Nick Swisher. He went on the field, played catch and juggled, while posing for photos with his teammates.

"Last year was a rough year and in Texas some guy told me I (stink)," said Kielty, who came into the game hitting .278 with seven home runs and 48 RBI. "I told him next year is a new year and I would hit .300. He said I had a better chance of being Ronald McDonald. So, I decided to make both work."

More Angels Notes

A referendum was passed by North Little Rock, Ark., voters on Tuesday to add a one percent sales tax to raise $33 million to fund a new ballpark for the Angels' Class AA Arkansas team.

Robb Quinlan, on the disabled list with a bulging disc, went 1 for 3 with two RBI at Mesa, Ariz., on Tuesday. Bret Prinz, on the 60-day disabled list, pitched two innings, allowing two runs on three hits while striking out five. Reach Matt Hurst at mhurst@pe.com
    Article Link (registration required)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am not the biggest Garret Anderson fan, it's not like I dislike him or anything, I just didn't think he was as good as some people talk about him. And even though his stats are down this season (and last season which is no surprise if he was injured then), it's still pretty amazing that he has hit that well considering that long sustained knee injury which I imagine only gets worse and not better.

His stats are looking pretty shaky right now but he's doing the best he can to try to help you all win. If you're knee is bum, you can expect the power to be comin considering your legs are where you generate power. Does anyone know if there is any surgery or whatnot planned? I really don't know much about the injury.