Thread: I stand corrected; NOT a "big" series

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I stand corrected; NOT a "big" series

at least according to this guy

ANAHEIM -- There was a time not all that long ago when a series like this one would have provided a clear benchmark for where the Angels stand as a franchise, at least when it comes to their perception from outside the clubhouse.
    Nowadays, it's just another weekend series.

Once, taking a series from the Yankees in late July might have been the stuff of huge headlines and pronouncements that the Angels have arrived among baseball's elite.

Now it's just another three out of four against another ballclub in their way on the road to October.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Now it's just another three out of four against another ballclub in their way on the road to October.
    Wow, how arrogant.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Thanks for that story Prov A's.

I happen to agree with the writer. I don't see any of it as arrogant. IMO, it is the truth. Before the series started, I harassed you about the comment about the "big series." To me, it was as important as any other series against any other team.

I recall back in 2002 when the Angels kept winning in the playoffs and WS, the Media kept saying the Angels were a team of a bunch of nobodys. To those of us who follow and/or watch everyday, they weren't a bunch of nobodies. To me, it just showed how closed-minded much of baseball is and how the smaller market teams get shafted in favor of the larger markets. Yet, everyone wonders why Anaheim changed allegiances in favor of Los Angeles. I'm not saying I agree with the change but Arte, is nothing short of a marketing genius with that move. The Angels gained notariety with that WS win in 2002. The name change was meant to help that notariety along.

The Yankees deserve respect based on their history as the article says, but that doesn't mean that they can't fall to "lesser" teams. In fact, that is exactly what many baseball fans are waiting for. Funny thing about putting people on pedestals....sometimes those people fall off.
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    no problem...as I stated in the other thread, the main reason it was a "big" series to me was because they had just lost 2 of 3 to the hot A's and needed to win the series (which they did 3 - 1) because the A's are white hot (and they ended up sweeping Texas)...