Thread: Big Angels Put On Waivers

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Angels Big Angels Put On Waivers

Rosenthal reports that the Angels placed Brian Fuentes, Juan Rivera, Mike Napoli and Bobby Abreu on waivers (Twitter link). The Angels are presumably curious about the interest their players draw, even if they don't intend on making a trade.
    WoW! Talk about four players that could make a huge difference come Septmeber. I doubt all four go but if the price is right, they could. I think Napoli is a definite keeper if I'm the Angels but the rest can go. Fuentes would be a welcome addition to the White Sox right now with their struggles and the Rays could use Abreu or Rivera. Interesting to see if any of these guys go anywhere.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Big Angels Put On Waivers

I'd definitely keep Napoli, but I could see Abreu being a good fit for a team in need of a veteran down the stretch.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that Angels catcher Mike Napoli has been claimed on waivers by an unknown team.
    It's not that surprising. Napoli, 28, has smashed 21 homers in 369 at-bats this season for Anaheim and power-hitting catchers are extremely hard to come by. Waiver deals are tough, as we've seen, but a few contending teams in the American League are looking to improve offensively, whether at catcher, first base or designated hitter. It might take a decent prospect, though.
    The Rays have some prospects they can give up. Napoli won't be a free agent til 2013. He'd be a good pickup now just in case Pena leaves this winter. Right now he can backup Pena and Jaso when not DHing

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Trading Napoli for prospects this early would be just dumb, given how Jeff Mathis has been a complete bust with the bat.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Joe McDonald of ESPN.com reports that Angels catcher Mike Napoli has been claimed on waivers by the Red Sox.
    A deal between the teams remains unlikely, according to McDonald. The details would have to be worked out by Monday. Perhaps Boston was just blocking a team with a greater need for Napoli's power, such as the Rays, Yankees or Twins. Napoli, 28, has smashed 21 home runs in 369 at-bats this season for Anaheim. Power-hitting catchers are obviously extremely hard to come by and he provides flexibility with the ability to play first base. We'll keep you updated on Boston's progress toward a trade.
    That ends my Rays theory