Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels Say No To Holliday

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Angels Angels Say No To Holliday

Angels owner Arte Moreno said today that he could envision his team pursuing Jason Bay — but not Matt Holliday — in the event that his team's prominent free agents sign elsewhere.

"We are not looking at Holliday at all," Moreno said. "He is not going to be an Angel."

As for Bay, the owner said, "You have to look at Bay. It's a great bat. (He) has great makeup."

Moreno estimated on Thursday that he has roughly $12 million to spend on improving the club.

If Bay is willing to take a back-loaded contract, it's possible that the Angels could afford him.

Moreno said he would like to bring back John Lackey, Chone Figgins and Vladimir Guerrero but acknowledged that it's unlikely the Angels can afford all three.
    WOW! That is one big market team out of the running which hurts Holliday. I am not buying the limited $12 million the Angels have to spend on improving the club but I am buying them not being in the Holliday sweeps. If I were the Angels, re-signing Lackey would be priority #1.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Angels Say No To Holliday

I don't understand Moreno's thought process. You want Bay but have zero interest in Holliday, who's a better all-around player?

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    I don't understand Moreno's thought process. You want Bay but have zero interest in Holliday, who's a better all-around player?
    Bay would be cheaper, so gives them more freedom to re-sign some of their FAs? Maybe?
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Bay just rejected a $15 million a year average from Boston. He's not that much cheaper.

Bay just rejected a $15 million a year average from Boston. He's not that much cheaper.
    Sorry, didn't realize that. Yea, then that's a weird thought process. Bay > Holliday? How much is Holliday asking then?
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

MLB ERA

Boras is asking for "Teixeira" money for Holliday. Bay would be less expensive.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

I agree that Lackey should be their #1 priority, but I don't see the point in publicly writing off Holliday at this point in the offseason.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree with reef, resigning Lackey should be the top objective for the Angels offseason. It does seem a little odd that the Angels are out of the Holliday race but maybe they do not want to lose out like they did last season and give fans the impression that they play ball with top free agents but aren't willing to play 9 innings and get a signed contract. Or maybe its just a burn on Boras.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bay has proven he can hit in the AL, Holliday did not. I can see where the Angels are coming from.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Holliday's cumulative numbers with Oakland weren't bad at all. They could have been better had he not had a bad April. Besides, I always thought it is easier to hit in the AL.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A half season in Oakland of below average, but still serviceable hitting isn't enough for us to truly say whether or not Holliday can hit in the American League. Of course Bay is more proven in that area, but really Holliday's OAK stint looks a lot worse due to a dismal April with a .670 OPS that could easily be chalked up to nerves with a new team, adjusting to a new league, or just shaking off the offseason rust.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

But then again Bay did the same thing Holliday did in a much tougher environment without any preparation and excelled. That's why teams are looking at him with greater desire than Holliday and I for one can blame them.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

But Holliday obviously excelled after April with Oakland. It could have been just a slow start that would have happened no matter where he was. Perhaps Prov has more insight.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Like I said, if I had to choose it would be Bay based on his production in the AL. Holliday's power never emerged in the AL which is what people will be wanting for the dollar amount he is asking. Two years in a row for Holliday with 25 or fewer HRs. Jason Bay has two years of 31 or more HRs. See the difference?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Its also much better to hit in Fenway than Oakland. Just saying. Oakland's offense was about as bad as the Giants and just below the M's.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast