Thread: Escobar's Comeback Trail

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Angels Escobar's Comeback Trail

Kelvim Escobar (shoulder) threw 30 pitches of live batting practice Thursday and is scheduled to appear in a minor league game Monday.
    "He looks great," pitching coach Mike Butcher said. "I'm very happy for him and for us. He's put a lot of hard work into what you saw today. He's fought his way back to where he is now and is several months ahead of where we thought he'd be." Escobar won't be ready for Opening Day, but could begin the season on a minor league rehab assignment rather than in extended spring training, setting him up to return in May.
    He once considered retirement but now looks like he can make it in time for May. Awesome news! If Escobar can come back to 80% of what he did his last full year as a starter, the Angels are in great shape. They already have a damn good rotation as is but Escobar elevates them to WS contender.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Escobar's Comeback Trail

I love a good comeback story. Escobar became quite a nice pitcher and it would be huge if the Angels got him back at a percentage like that reefer. Has anyone heard any early reports of his velocity (obviously he still needs to build back up strength, but I am just curious.)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to Escobar, he felt like he was hitting 90+ mph in his last bullpen session but no radar gun was on him. Just going off his own word. At least he felt good about his performance to make it feel like 90+.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Interesting. It was a pretty confident remark too from the Angels; usually teams are a bit more cautious sounding when someone is attempting a pretty big comeback.

Escobar would be such a huge addition though if he came back strong. To be honest, I haven't followed him too much since him sitting the season out, thus I didn't even consider the Angels+Escobar to be a possibility for 2009. It could be like a secret weapon they can bring out early to mid-season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

His comeback is a reason I voted for the Angels to have the best rotation in the AL.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Escobar was clocked at 94 mph is his last minor league start.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wow. Escobar could be a big fantasy sleeper this year if he is already up to that!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Santana, Lackey and Escobar could all be ready to come back at the same time. Now that would be very interesting to see.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kelvim Escobar experienced a setback with "some tightness" in his shoulder.
    Manager Mike Scioscia reported Monday that Escobar was feeling great, so there's obviously a communication issue here. Escobar claims the tightness is "nothing serious," but he also admitted that it's not a good idea for him to pitch in his scheduled minor-league rehab assignment on Thursday. He won't try to throw again until this weekend.
    Hope nothing too serious happens to Escobar. I know the Giants were speaking the same kind of language with Noah Lowry.