Thread: Chone Figgins for Jermaine Dye?

MLB ERA

Rumor Chone Figgins for Jermaine Dye?

ESPN's Rumor Central reports that is a possibility.
    Tuesday, January 13
    Angels interested in Dye

Jermaine Dye | White Sox | Interested: Angels? Reds?
    The Los Angeles Angels are interested in acquiring outfielder Jermaine Dye now that Mark Teixeira has landed with the New York Yankees, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
    Unlike the talks with the Reds that stalled during the Winter Meetings, the newspaper reported that the Sox and Angels have a fit, with Chone Figgins a key component.
    The newspaper reported that the White Sox covet speed with general manager Ken Williams telling the Sun-Times back in June that Figgins was "interesting." The Angels want a power bat to offer some protection for Vladimir Guerrero and Torii Hunter. The one problem is Los Angeles has a surplus of outfielders in Hunter, Guerrero, Gary Matthews and Juan Rivera, but could convert someone to first base, as well as platoon Guerrero and Matthews as the designated hitter.
    Dye would bring the Angels 137 home runs and 378 RBI since 2005 - the most from any American League outfielder in that span.
    Figgins, who can play third, second and the outfield would give Williams a legitimate lead-off hitter, averaging just over 47 stolen bases a year since 2005. Because of his versatility he could fill a hole at second or move into the outfield, also allowing Carlos Quentin to move to his more natural outfield position in right field.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Chone Figgins for Jermaine Dye?

This deal could work out for both teams. Both men are free agents after the '09 season and both fill needs for each team. The ChiSox need a third baseman and more speed, the Angels need a big bat in their lineup. I could see this deal getting done.

MLB ERA

The rumors are that Figgins would play CF for the Sox, which they also need. I think it would take more than just Dye to get Figgins, though. Figgins is younger, faster and better defensively. He has not been injured severely recently, either.
    If the Sox were to sweeten the deal a bit with, say someone like Lance Broadway, I would say they would be able to get this deal done.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I don't see the White Sox having to give anything more except maybe money. Both men are free agents after this year.

MLB ERA

And its more likely that Figgins would stay in LA than Dye in Chicago. The Angels could end up with both guys in 2010, if they wish.
    Figgins is worth more to me than Dye is. He is nearing his peak as a ballplayer and Dye is past his.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

With Figgins and Dye gone after this season, the Angels will have money to sign lock up John Lackey. If Figgins is traded, the White Sox would likely lock him up too since Williams has wanted Figgins for a long time.

MLB ERA

Please leave the Reds out of these talks. I get scared that were going to give away something of value to get basically a 1 yr bandaid for the sake of making a move.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

1 year bandaid in the weak NL Central could do the Reds a lot of good.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    1 year bandaid in the weak NL Central could do the Reds a lot of good.
    we need reconstructive surgery to compete with the Scrubs. Not a band aid and give up someone with talent to help later on.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    The rumors are that Figgins would play CF for the Sox, which they also need. I think it would take more than just Dye to get Figgins, though. Figgins is younger, faster and better defensively. He has not been injured severely recently, either.
    If the Sox were to sweeten the deal a bit with, say someone like Lance Broadway, I would say they would be able to get this deal done.
    I missed the part where Chone Figgins was worth Jermaine Dye, let alone more than Jermaine Dye.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I don't see the White Sox having to give anything more except maybe money. Both men are free agents after this year.
    Kenny Williams is about as likely to send money in a deal as J.P. Riccardi is to sign Adam Dunn to a huge multiyear deal.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.