Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rivera resigns with the Angels

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Rivera resigns with the Angels

You're missing the point. Point is teams want Abreu and that he will make more than $7 million a year. Edgar Renteria is getting over $9 million a year. If Minaya could get Abreu for $7 million, statues should be erected in his honor. But its not bloody likely.

MLB ERA

Ibanez was the more coveted of the two players. I just don't see Abreu making more than maybe 9 million per year at best.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Of course he was more coveted, he was the cheaper option.

MLB ERA

Disagreed entirely. Abreu is only ASKING for 8 million per.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Disagreed entirely. Abreu is only ASKING for 8 million per.
    really? Because I read that he wanted double that...he won't get it, but he was asking for a lot more than $8 mil

ESPN - Jerry Crasnick: Job market for Bobby Abreu

Abreu's alleged price tag is contributing to the inertia. The word in baseball circles is that he wants a three-year deal or two years with a vesting option for $15-16 million annually.

MLB ERA

I heard 3 years, 25 million, but I can't remember where exactly I read that.

From your article:

I just think that as a complete player, he's starting to go backwards. He's not the outfielder he used to be. He still has a decent arm, but it's not the cannon he used to have. And he doesn't have the foot speed he used to have. He's a solid player, but not a $14-15 million a year player."

MLB ERA

I read the article the other day. I was just stating what he was asking for according to that article. I never said what he was worth. Also from that article:

Bobby Abreu was the 11th best outfielder in 2008, according to the Player Rater as he produced solid numbers across all the major fantasy hitting categories, although his walk rate has declined in recent seasons. However, he won't be taken that high in drafts next year no matter where he lands, given that he'll be 35 and has a lack of upside.
    He was a top guy last year. Check out the guys he was ahead of (Ibanez was 28th):

ESPN Fantasy Baseball 2008: Player Rater

Obviously, he's on the decline, but I do think he'll end up getting something in between what you said and what he was asking for supposedly (I'd guess over $10 mil per to be honest).

MLB ERA

Well, Yankee Stadium helps out lefties. I believe Safeco favors pitchers. So, take that in to account as well. I mean, in Yankee Stadium its like 312 feet to right field....

MLB ERA

that is taking into account more than just homers though (runs, homers, RBIs, SBs, and AVG). I think Abreu is the better player overall and will get more money than Ibanez...JMHO though I guess. If I were a GM, I'd take Abreu over Ibanez.

MLB ERA

I understand that, but I mean, the difference in stadium and lineup certainly accounts for any disparity in Runs, RBI, HR. So, I mean, that more than evens things out. I personally think Abreu is a guy who puts up nice stats, but isn't as good as they look.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What is not to like about a .300 hitter, good OBP, 20 HRs and 20 steals? Abreu is not asking for 3 years, $25 million. Might be someone else's realistic asking price but not Abreu's. He would fire his agents if they thought that's all he could get. When Edgar Renteria can get over $9 million, Abreu can definitely get $12 million. Hell, Aaron Rowand makes $12 million! When you make $17 million and have a good year, you are not going to take a $10 million paycut, end of story.

MLB ERA

If that's your thought process, hopefully your Giants will sign him to a 12 million dollar contract. I've watched the guy enough the past few years to know that he was well overpaid. He's not nearly as good as his numbers suggest, and I wouldn't even OFFER a contract unless his demands drop to under 10 million per.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Then don't expect the Mets to get him, my Giants don't have room. Is he worth $17 million? No. Is he only worth $7 million? Hell no. He is as good as his numbers suggest because he has done it throughout his career.

MLB ERA

I don't want the Mets to get him! I only brought it up because if Omar is as infatuated with him as it seems, he better come damn cheap. Honestly, I'd rather save money to sign Orlando Hudson, and then go into the season with a better 2B, and leave Murphy/Tatis in leftfield.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Ok, then don't expect any team to sign him for $7 million.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast