Thread: Who gives K-Rod His Big Payday?

Want a moustache ride? BrewerBall13's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

MLB Who gives K-Rod His Big Payday?

So, I know there is already a thread about K-Rod deciding to test out the free agent market...but I figured this deserved it's own thread...

Angels' Francisco Rodriguez says he will file for free agency - Los Angeles Times

Francisco Rodriguez said Monday that he plans to file for free agency after the season, setting the stage for one of three prominent decisions facing the Angels this winter.

Rodriguez, on pace to set the major league record for saves in a season, said he would not rule out re-signing with the Angels but would no longer consider an extension before soliciting offers from other teams.

Given what recent closers have gotten, his dominance this year and the fact that he is just 26, K-Rod is looking at huge money this offseason. My question is, who is going to give it to him? Coule he pull in 15-17 million?

Looking around the league, most of the big market teams have big time closers locked up, and smaller market teams with closers that aren't going anywhere.

Boston: Papelbon
    Yankees: Rivera
    Mets: Wagner
    Philadelphia: Lidge
    White Sox: Jenks
    Cubs: Wood
    Seattle: Putz
    Toronto: Ryan
    Minnesota: Nathan
    Cincy: Cordero
    Houston: Valverde
    KC: Soria

After those are a list of teams that would not have the ability to spend that kind of money or make that kind of commitment to a closer:

Tampa
    Royals
    A's
    Rockies
    Pirates
    Marlins
    Nationals

The bubble teams, that may have the money and the roster spots are:

Baltimore
    Cleveland
    Detroit
    Texas
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee
    St. Louis
    Dodgers
    San Francisco
    Arizona
    San Diego

Now of those teams listed above, we have teams with young closers (San Fran, Texas) decent middle rung closers (Arizona, Baltimore), teams with potential in house replacements (Detroit, Dodgers, San Diego) and teams with committee situations (Cleveland, Milwaukee, Atlanta). Of these teams, only a handful could possibly pony up the cash (Baltimore, St Louis, Dodgers, SF) and I am not sure they bite on him. Would K-Rod consider being a high paid set up in Boston or NY? Unlikely as that would mean that he would be get paid as a top end set up man, which would bring his price tag down to a level more teams could afford him as a closer. Or, will the Halos back up the Brinks truck to Frankie's front door and lock him up long term?

MLB ERA

Re: Who gives K-Rod His Big Payday?

Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBall13 View Post
    Of these teams, only a handful could possibly pony up the cash (Baltimore, St Louis, Dodgers, SF) and I am not sure they bite on him.
    The Cardinals could pony up for a closer, but I doubt they would give any closer a long term contract. Chris Perez has been deemed he closer of the future, but he may need another year or two to develop another pitch in the minors.

MLB ERA

Re: Who gives K-Rod His Big Payday?

That sucks. Angels need K-Rod.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."