The Angels activated relief pitcher Scot Shields from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday and optioned rookie pitcher Rich Thompson to Triple-A Salt Lake City. The move to activate Shields was expected. The decision to send Thompson to the minors didn't come as easily.
The Angels knew they were going to have to send one of their young relief pitchers to the minors but it was a matter of whom. Thompson set himself apart with a one-inning disaster Friday night in which he allowed five earned runs.
“Of course I'm disappointed,” Thompson said after packing his duffle bag. “That's the way the business goes, though. I'll just try to get back here as soon as possible.”
Manager Mike Scioscia had a talk with Thompson and told him what he needs to work on.
“I think getting his pitches in the (strike) zone in earlier counts is important, and then once he gets to a pitch count, put guys away,” Scioscia said.
“It's a thing that a lot of young pitchers go through. At times they think too fine, too early in counts. They find themselves trying to get back into too many counts, which is tough to do at the major league level. And then when he's been ahead, he hasn't had the command to really put guys away.”
Thompson's bad inning was a good example. He had the Rangers' David Murphy on an 0-2 count before Murphy singled. Michael Young also got a hit after being down 0-2.
“I have to be more consistent with the fastball and get guys out,” Thompson said.
Being activated from the disabled list is something new for Shields. The veteran right-hander had not missed a game because of injury, and that includes his professional, collegiate and Little League careers.
“It definitely hurt sitting around watching,” Shields said. “It felt weird watching the last game in Minnesota on TV the other day, and it definitely wasn't fun.
“But I'm ready to have fun now. I'm just glad that when I was driving to the park today I knew I actually could have a chance to help the team.”
Shields has built a reputation as one of the top setup men in the game, but Scioscia was balking at the idea of putting him back in that role right away.
“I think back-to-back games is OK, but we want to maybe work him in a little bit earlier in the game and let him get his feet on the ground until we see where he is,” Scioscia said. “This is uncharted territory for him.”
BACK ON THE MOUND
John Lackey is continuing to throw off of a flat surface but could back on a mound early this week.
Lackey is on the disabled list because of a strained triceps in his right arm. He was examined by team orthopedist Lewis Yocum on Friday and everything looked good.
“He's coming out of his flat ground well and he feels good,” Scioscia said. “We've just got to build some stamina in that arm and fine tune some stuff to get him where he needs to be.”
TODAY
RHP Jon Garland (1-0, 1.13) will oppose Rangers RHP Vicente Padilla (0-0, 1.50) at 12:35p.m. The game will be broadcast on KCOP/13, KLAA/830 and KWKW/1330 (Spanish)
Sports: Angels set to deploy Shields | thompson, strong, game, scioscia, shields - OCRegister.com

good to hear he's healthy.